Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Todd Finney <tf...@boygenius.com> on 2002/10/11 21:42:08 UTC

OT: Are things really this bad?

I was looking at jobs.perl.org this afternoon, and there are a lot of
things on there like this:

	- "we'll pay you when we have some money"
	- $20-$30 an hour
	- "Do all this, we'll give you $75."

I'm not *really* in the market, but more work is always better.   Are
the jobs on there really representative of what's going on out there,
or are they somehow skewed?

Just curious.

cheers,
Todd

Re: OT: Are things really this bad?

Posted by Lupe Christoph <lu...@lupe-christoph.de>.
On Saturday, 2002-10-12 at 11:50:12 +0100, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
> Todd Finney <tf...@boygenius.com> writes:

> Over here, the barometer looks like:

For what it's worth, here is the major Freelancer/Professional Services
site in Germany:

  http://www.gulp.de/kb/tools/gulpometer.html

If you want to have some statistics (in German!), go to
  http://www.gulp.de/kb/tools/trend.html

Enter "Web" and "Perl", and set the first "oder" to "und". Click on
"Analysieren". You'll get project inquiries, project inquiries by German
zipcode region, "Prozentuale Verteilung der Stundensätze" (percentage
distribution of hourly rates), some others of less interest, and at the
end age distributions for the two keywords and over all freelancers at
Gulp and all project inquiries at Gulp.

Makes me feel old. I'm 48...

If you don't want to do that, the hourly rates are:

Web             72,22 EUR
Perl            69,29 EUR
All Freelancers 72,72 EUR
All Inquiries   75,25 EUR

1 EUR = 0.9860 US$.

The UK site says the going rate overall is 19 Pounds. That is 30 EUR or
US$. No wonder I'm meeting lots of British people when I visit clients.

Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| Big Misunderstandings #6398: The Titanic was not supposed to be        |

Re: OT: Are things really this bad?

Posted by Dave Hodgkinson <da...@davehodgkinson.com>.
Todd Finney <tf...@boygenius.com> writes:

> I was looking at jobs.perl.org this afternoon, and there are a lot of
> things on there like this:

Over here, the barometer looks like:

http://www.jobstats.co.uk/

And those residual 4000 are agents trolling for leads from CVs.

--
Dave Hodgkinson, Wizard for Hire         http://www.davehodgkinson.com
Editor-in-chief, The Highway Star        http://www.thehighwaystar.com

Re: OT: Are things really this bad?

Posted by Steven Adams <st...@nwtechops.com>.
On Friday 11 October 2002 12:42 pm, Todd Finney wrote:

>  Are the jobs on there really representative of what's going on out there,
> or are they somehow skewed?
>
> Just curious.
>
> cheers,
> Todd

Take it from me, Todd, it is that bad. I'm fortunate in that I was able to
make the move from contracting early enough to retain *most* of my salary and
gain a huge increase in bene's but the calls I get now are in the range of WE
WANT EVERYTHING for the 20 - 30 range.

Take solace in the fact that everyone is just like you and I, they're not
biting on those offers (ex... good friend of mine that was in the business
15+ years manages a strip club now instead of taking the crap tech offers).
The pendulum will swing back in the near future, we've seen it swing this way
before and when things get so f*$&@ed up that nothing is working properly it
will start swinging back.

Good luck,

Steven

Re: OT: Are things really this bad?

Posted by Paul <yd...@yahoo.com>.
--- Todd Finney <tf...@boygenius.com> wrote:
> I was looking at jobs.perl.org this afternoon, and there are a lot of
> things on there like this:
> 	- "we'll pay you when we have some money"
> 	- $20-$30 an hour
> 	- "Do all this, we'll give you $75."
> I'm not *really* in the market, but more work is always better.   Are
> the jobs on there really representative of what's going on out there,
> or are they somehow skewed?
> Just curious.
> cheers,
> Todd

I think that's mostly the going rate (so to speak) for those jobs that
aren't important enough to hire a "real" employee. If you think a
quick-and-dirty contract can get a good enough job done for that, then
why would you pay more? The kid next door can hack out a couple of
scripts to handle your problem, and earn enough money for a hot date in
the process. (I just recently moved my personal website when it became
obvious that my host was actually a 16-yr-old reseller with no clue,
though there are plenty of capable young'uns out there.)

But if you have a genuine business enterprise that MUST function
smoothly, then you not only need an initial write but ongoing upkeep as
well, and that means hiring someone for the long term. Professional
contractors tend to get more than this, as do permanent employees in
most cases ($20-$30/hr and better *plus* insurance and a guarantee of
an ongoing 40hr week).

If I'm too far off base, someone please correct me.

http://faith.yahoo.com

Re: OT: Are things really this bad?

Posted by "Ken Y. Clark" <kc...@logsoft.com>.
On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Todd Finney wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:42:08 -0400
> From: Todd Finney <tf...@boygenius.com>
> To: modperl@perl.apache.org
> Subject: OT: Are things really this bad?
>
> I was looking at jobs.perl.org this afternoon, and there are a lot of
> things on there like this:
>
> 	- "we'll pay you when we have some money"
> 	- $20-$30 an hour
> 	- "Do all this, we'll give you $75."
>
> I'm not *really* in the market, but more work is always better.   Are
> the jobs on there really representative of what's going on out there,
> or are they somehow skewed?
>
> Just curious.
>
> cheers,
> Todd

I subscribe to the Perl jobs list, not because I'm looking, but just
to stay up on what people are looking for and what they will pay.
I've seen plenty like what you describe, but I've also seen a position
in the equities dept. of a finance company that pays $90-110, and
O'Reilly just posted with a full-time Perl gig in Cali.  There is
definitely a wide range of pay and prestige, but I think there are
some good positions out there.

ky