Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca> on 2018/02/09 01:31:45 UTC

[users@httpd] Help with ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse

I have a HTTP mail client running on port 7080 on the server that must be
proxied through Apache.

Using a workstation, I can enter:

   http://192.168.1.7:7080/mail.html

and it brings up the mail client correctly.

I tried to use ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse to move the mail client to run on
port 80 with the following configuration:

# Surgemail redirect to allow web based e-mail
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName mail.mymaildomain.ca
   ProxyPass "/" "http://127.0.0.1:7080/"
   ProxyPassReverse "/" "http://127.0.0.1:7080/"
   ProxyPassReverseCookieDomain "127.0.0.1" "mail.mymaildomain.ca"
</VirtualHost>

I also tried

  ProxyPass "/" "http://127.0.0.1:7080/mail.html"
  ProxyPassReverse "/" "http://127.0.0.1:7080/mail.html"

In the first case, when I try to log onto the mail client, the content of
the page comes up fine BUT the style sheet isn't available and none of the
links on the login page work.  Clicking on any link from here gives the
error message:

----
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:7080.
----

The second form gives the error:

------
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /mail.html.

Reason: DNS lookup failure for: 127.0.0.1:7080mail.html  (note there is no
/ after the socket id in the error message)
------

The issue seems to be that the server internal IP (127.0.0.1) is being
passed back to the browser and is being tried on the local workstation.

Obviously I don't have the proxy set up properly but this looks to me like
what the documentation is saying.  Can anyone assist me to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

John

Re: [users@httpd] Help with ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse

Posted by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca>.
Please ignore this post.

I knew I was looking at it and not seeing it and the act of sending the
help request made me look again.

Fixed now.

Sorry for the noise.

John