Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by la...@socgen.com on 2001/04/25 14:57:34 UTC

Newbie security question

Hi guys,

I have a very simple problem: how can I prevent Tomcat from displaying a
directory listing ? My servlets are installed in webapps/app directory and
asking for the URL http://localhost:8080/app/ just displays the content of the
directory, which I obviously do not want.

Thanks for your answer

Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
La SOCIETE GENERALE et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite au titre de ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.

				********

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and
intended solely for the addressees.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.

RE: Newbie security question

Posted by Craig O'Brien <cr...@dynamic-apps.com>.
This is the default behavior for apache web server. If there is no Directory
Index page found it will display the page that you are seeing.  Either place
a default index.html page in the directory or modify the apache conf file to
route to the page that you desire. You can have many pages listed separated
by a space.

eg:
DirectoryIndex index.html index.jsp index.php yourdesiredpage.whatever

Apache will choose the first one it encounters so add yours to the end. This
only takes effect if  after you restart apache  .../usr/sbin/apachectl
restart

Regards,
Craig