Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Jose I Quinones <ji...@avayan.com> on 2016/02/29 00:15:09 UTC

A question on Ip Addresses

I see there are plenty of questions regarding this topic. Read some of the
answers and am still confused. I am quite the newbie here, so please excuse
my utter ignorance!

1. Signed up for a server which has two NICs and has been assigned with up
to 8 public IP addresses.

2. On the information available here:
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.6/ch
oosing_deployment_architecture.html#small-scale-deployment I can see a setup
where the system is located at public IP address 62.43.51.121 to which then
multiple servers/nodes are assigned to the typical internal IP addressing
scheme of 192.168.10/24.

3. On the Quick Installation page
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.6/qi
g.html the example uses the IP address 172.16.10/24. Seems to me this is an
internal IP address and not a public IP address. I infer this from one of
the blue box NOTE's.

4. Using the resource on item #3 I was able to install CS4.8 on my server
but the only way I was able to make it work was by using my public IP
address (on NIC configuration, hosts, NFS IPTables, etc.) and not any of the
internal IP addresses (neither 192.168.0/24 or 172.16.10/24).

5. My disconnect is how do I configure my system so that the management
server is on my PUBLIC IP address and then the other hosts are on internal
IP addresses. Or is this only doable on Advanced Setups?

Thanks for your input!

Re: A question on Ip Addresses

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hello,

Cloudstack can use private IPs for all networks, including "public" if that suits the situation, that's why many demos use them.
If you want to be really economical about IPs which seems like the case, you can use private IP space for guest/secondaryStorage/management and just use the few public IPs for Public. Even so, 8 usable IPs will be tight. :)

Nux!
www.nux.ro