Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@ags.uni-sb.de> on 2001/01/02 17:38:26 UTC

Thanks (was Re: TC3.x - status)

Thanks,

Yes, real thanks for Tomcat, it does help our project a lot and was
prbably one of the main tool we're using that encouraged us to go in
the open-source spirit.

We are making a mathematical learning system called activemath (see
www.mathweb.org/activemath) and are close to release. We are happily
using tomcat as the only web and servlet engine, the jakart license
provides us a worry-free environnement allowing us to concentrate on
more math and learning oriented features.

It will be time one day we contribute to Tomcat, for sure... actually
all my frustrations of web.xml were a lack of logging with them (this
was fixed in 3.2 I think) and another we had suspected to be a real
bug (an applet finally querying to load classes from another server)
which  I believe is was, after all, a class-missing dumb problem.
Those two contributions to Tomcat would have been... well... this
should have turned to documentation.

So thanks again, this is a great tool and advances a fair amount the
web-world and the freely-accessible knowledge philosophy.

Paul

PS: this class-missing problem turning out to be a security exception
is a real problem (this was with NS4) and should be in some FAQ if
there's any one day: an applet tries to load a class from the
official source, not finding it tries some other stuffs... including
the sun.* packages or (it happened to us) follows the link in the
content delivered by the servlet (which happens to be in another
package). Verbose class-loading is THE solution here.