Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/01 22:03:20 UTC

Decrease number of ThreadLocal.get calls

This issue:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2333

has a patch that improves performance by a noticable amount BUT means that
we lose the "operations trace" (at least, in production).

I'm pretty sure I want to keep the operation trace, even at the cost of
performance.

Thoughts?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com
@hlship

Re: Decrease number of ThreadLocal.get calls

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 17:03:20 -0300, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This issue:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2333
> has a patch that improves performance by a noticable amount BUT means
> that we lose the "operations trace" (at least, in production).
> I'm pretty sure I want to keep the operation trace, even at the cost of
> performance.

What's this noticeable amount? A ballpark figure would be nice.

Could we control this by a configuration symbol and have the default being
working as it does now? This way, we can choose what trade-off we want.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: Decrease number of ThreadLocal.get calls

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 10:03 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

This issue:

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2333
>
> has a patch that improves performance by a noticable amount BUT means that
> we lose the "operations trace" (at least, in production).

Yep, production error reporting is more important then what it could seem,
It has saved me hours a lot of times.

> I'm pretty sure I want to keep the operation trace, even at the cost of
> performance.

> Thoughts?

I tend to agree but performance is a subtle subject.
I want to stress every bit out of my iron and I'm really intrigued by the
expected gain. To be fair I didn't have time to give it a whirl and haven't
fully read the last version of the patch but the only thing it seems to do
is to calculate description (within operationtrackerimpl) and spread it
over.

I would like to look at it, maybe this week.

Cheers
--
Massimo Lusetti

Re: Decrease number of ThreadLocal.get calls

Posted by Jochen Kemnade <ke...@gmail.com>.
Am 01.08.2014 um 22:03 schrieb Howard Lewis Ship:
> This issue:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2333
>
> has a patch that improves performance by a noticable amount BUT means that
> we lose the "operations trace" (at least, in production).

Apparently, it doesn't. According to the patch sumbitter, its latest
version has no functional impact. It's been a while since I looked it
over but it seemed fine to me.

> I'm pretty sure I want to keep the operation trace, even at the cost of
> performance.

Agreed.

Jochen