Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by K Anand <ka...@sail-steel.com> on 2005/05/12 05:39:39 UTC

[users@httpd] Basic Authentication question

Hi all,

I have a very basic question regarding authentication on apache...I have in
my httpd.conf a section like below :
<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "By Invitaion Only"
    AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/passwd/passwords
    Require valid-user

    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

So whenever a browser first sends a cgi-bin request, authentication is done
by userid and password...Whenever subsequent requests come for cgi-bin,
authentication is not required provided the browser has not been closed. How
is this done ?

I know that this is not a problem but I would like to know just for my
information.

Thanx
Anand

Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication question

Posted by Dick Davies <ra...@hellooperator.net>.
* Sandeep Gaikwad <sg...@vertex.co.in> [0558 09:58]:
> Hello Anand,
>    Please try by updating the line AllowOverride None by
>    AllowOverride AuthConfig or AllowOverride All
>
> Regards,
> Sandeep

Guys, read the mails before posting replies, ok?
What you suggest would enable .htaccess loading of Auth* directives, which
has nothing to do with the question.

--
'When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite.'
		-- Winston Churchill, On formal declarations of war

Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication question

Posted by Sandeep Gaikwad <sg...@vertex.co.in>.
Hello Anand,

Posted by K Anand <ka...@sail-steel.com>.
you didn't understand what I was asking...The config I have included is
working ..I have used htpasswd and everything is working fine....All I want
to know is how does  apache  know that I have already authenticated or not ?

Anand

Posted by Chris Winfield-Blum <ch...@leadingside.com>.