Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/12 23:39:28 UTC

[Android] Getting rid of the bin directory

Hey

We had to issue a release because of a "bug" in Android, I'm wanting to
delete the entire build script directory unless someone wants to take on
the task of making sure that works.  Since ant jar works, I don't see the
reason for having this directory, and it seems to cause more problems than
it's actually worth.

Any thoughts?

Joe

Re: [Android] Getting rid of the bin directory

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
Fil,
You can assign iOS to me and/or create a task (with sub-tasks?) in jira

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
Awesome. I'm fine with that.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
We should run bin/create which does run ant/jar.  I think we should have a
QA step to make sure this script works and not leave everything to
automation.

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
OK, first of all, they aren't build scripts.  They don't build Cordova, the
ant scripts in framework build Cordova.  These are helper scripts that
generate Cordova projects, which now really only automate six things:

1. Running the Android Command Line Tool
2. Running ant jar
3. Copying ant jar into the libs directory of the generated project
4. Copying Android Manifest
5. Copying the res/xml directory
6. Copying the latest version of cordova js into assets/www

Now, an XML file in these scripts have caused 1.6.1 to exist, which has now
been extended to Monday, and have thrown the release schedule out of whack
such that it looks like I'll have to delay CordovaWebView to 1.8 because it
probably won't be ready by the end of the month.

I don't think moving this into ant is a good idea, and these helper scripts
belong in some tooling repository separate from the Cordova project.
 However, since it's been decided that they have to live in the Android
repository, that's where they're staying, which means that similar bugs
will probably happen again when we're trying to get another release out
unless someone keeps an eye on it. I'd rather have it be someone who is
invested in having these scripts work than someone who is not.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
You can assign them to me

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water! I totally use them. The
next couple of sprints are dedicated to fixing this stuff up. And yes,
these scripts do belong to the project they act on. Agree they need
maintenance but given none are >30 loc I am confident we can handle it. ;p

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
We're trying to figure out what the command line tooling is gonna look
like [1], it is not yet clear if we will be managing the various
build/platform tasks on a per-platform basis, or if we're going to unify
it all under a different project.

Until that decision is made I don't think we should touch the scripts.

>The fact is that someone should own the tooling
>for all the platforms, and this shouldn't be in the Android or iOS
>repositories because they will get ignored.  That's why I want to delete
>it/move it/find another home for it.

I don't buy the notion that build scripts for each platform will be
ignored by platform maintainers. Almost any library has a build script
that automates common tasks. Almost any project I work on has some manner
of automation that is necessary, and should not be ignored.

My 2 cents.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/CommandLineToolingDesign

Re: [Android] Getting rid of the bin directory

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.