Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2007/12/16 00:50:00 UTC

[DISCUSS][VOTE] Approve release Apache UIMA 2.2.1-incubating

resend from an email that won't need moderation (sorry for the dup).

sebb wrote:
 > On 15/12/2007, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
 >
 >> sebb wrote:
 >>
 >>> The NOTICE file in uimaj-2.2.1-incubating-bin.zip refers to the
 >>> contributions from IBM:
 >>>
 >>> "Software Grant License Agreement", informally known as the
 >>> "IBM UIMA License Agreement".
 >>>
 >>> however, that license is not in LICENSE, nor is it linked from there.
 >>>
 >> this wording was approved in their first release -- iirc there were
 >> discussions about what specifically to put there [1] and I had a minor
 >> hand in that since they had borrowed wording from derby [2].
 >>
 > I'm not objecting to the wording in the NOTICE file.
 > However, since it refers to another license, I think that needs to be
 > present in the LICENSE file:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#distributing-code-under-several-licenses

The software grant license agreement to which it refers is this :

http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt

I assumed that when outside entities file software grants they always
use the software-grant.txt form (or CCLA addendum B in
cla-corporate.txt),  but I'm probably wrong about that.

For this release, I don't think anything needs to be done. Perhaps a
broader issue is how apache projects as a whole should reference the
code drops that come in via a software grant -- or if it's even
necessary to do so since the original copyright is in the NOTICE file.
Perhaps that's sufficient?

 -jean