Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/06 11:22:59 UTC

Geronimo-Microprofile: what's next?

Hi guys,

I have some plans and ideas for this project and I'd like to share it now.

1. I'm planning to do a dev module to enable to visualize metrics and
tracing data, this is not to replace prometheus or so but to enable to test
it (or demo it) easily without having to build a full stack which can be
slow or complicated on some machines. High level it will just store in
memory the data (in a rotating exp buffer like the one we have in metrics)
and render the data using some templating engine - I'm not yet sure we want
to use JSP but i'd like to not recode an engine, i'll check it next week. I
hope to be able to push something next week before we release the
microprofile repo with the openapi fixes.
2. i wondered if we want to create a kubernetes module, it would be a light
aggregator pom just importing health (liveness) + metrics (prometheus)

We can also create a lot more agrgegator pom/profiles since at the end
microprofile is never something you use as a server but as modules you put
together but it can be hard to know which ones you need. The warning here
is I'm not sure how far we should go between providing poms and documenting
it more - help welcomed here.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: Geronimo-Microprofile: what's next?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

quick update: i pushed the reporter webapp on master, it includes health,
tracing and metrics spec integration. Feel free to play with it and enhance
it or give us feedback on it. It is still in early stage but quite nice to
do quick tests locally.

Romain Manni-Bucau