Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com> on 2006/11/01 16:38:35 UTC

Re: Testing generated doc/... files

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Rainer Schwarze wrote:
> Are there any objections against such a tool in general? (besides from
> "only runs on Windows" :-) )

I can't think of any. It's a real pain that such a tool is needed, but I
can't see any way around it

If possible, it'd be good to set up a framework for calling an office
program, having it open a file, having it save a file, see if it crashes
etc. That way, we could use it for powerpoint, excel etc in future if we
felt it'd help

> Is there a better approach for that?

Normally, calling COM from java to do stuff is a nightmare, because you
have to deal with all sorts of dialogues, what ifs etc. However, since any
sort of dialogue probably indicates that there was a problem, having it
hang with a dialogue up until you kill the process probably isn't too bad.

> Should jacob not be suitable, which "development environment" would
> be recommended?

Alas I don't have any experience in this area, sorry.

Nick