Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jan Luehe <Ja...@Sun.COM> on 2003/07/10 18:18:43 UTC

[5.0] [PROPOSAL] Make output buffer size limit configurable

Currently, the limit up to which the size of an
org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.OutputBuffer may grow is identical to the
original buffer size:

     public OutputBuffer(int size) {

         bb = new ByteChunk(size);
         bb.setLimit(size);
         cb = new CharChunk(size);
         cb.setLimit(size);
     }

As a result of this, if the response does not fit in the output
buffer, the buffer is flushed, and the response does no longer include
a "Content-Length" header. Instead, it includes a "Transfer-Encoding"
header whose value is "chunked":

   Transfer-Encoding: chunked

It may be useful (e.g., for some benchmarks such as TPC-W) to be able
to configure a connector such that the buffer size of its responses
grows infinitely, in which case the above "setLimit" calls would not
occur and the response would always include a "Content-Length" header,
no matter how big.

I am proposing a CoyoteConnector attribute "outLimited" (I am open to
other naming suggestions), whose possible values may be "TRUE" (default)
or "FALSE": if "TRUE", the output buffer size limit is set to the output
buffer size (current behaviour), and if "FALSE", an output buffer may
grow infinitely.

Comments?

Jan

Re: [5.0] [PROPOSAL] Make output buffer size limit configurable

Posted by Jan Luehe <Ja...@Sun.COM>.
Marc,

>>>encoding?
>>>

>>>AFAIK, the HTTP/1.0 support for Tomcat-Coyote-Standalone is nearly identical
>>>to Apache/httpd.
>>
>>I noticed that if I send a request specifying HTTP/1.0 as the protocol
>>version, and the response exceeds the output buffer, TC returns an
>>HTTP/1.1 response with neither a "Content-Length" nor a
>>"Transfer-Encoding: chunked" header.
>>
>>I would have expected it to include a "Content-Length" header. Would you
>>agree?
>

> It, umh, can't do that for dynamic content without buffering the
> whole response since it doesn't know how long it is.
>
> Hence the main reason for chunked encoding and the requirement
> HTTP/1.1 clients support it.
>
> Any HTTP/1.1 client must support chunked encoding, if not then it is
> broken and really don't need to be taken into account.  If someone
> doesn't want to support chunked encoding, they shouldn't be making
> HTTP/1.1 requests.

just for the record, and I'll shut up after this.

What you are saying is correct, but does not address the specific
scenario I was testing. If you read my email again, you'll notice that
my client was sending an HTTP/1.*0* request.

What I was trying to test is if chunked encoding can be turned off if
the client pretends to only support HTTP/1.0, since chunked encoding is
a feature of HTTP/1.1.

Remy has answered my question.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Marc Slemko wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Jan Luehe wrote:
>>I would have expected it to include a "Content-Length" header. Would you
>>agree?
>

> It, umh, can't do that for dynamic content without buffering the
> whole response since it doesn't know how long it is.

Not even that does work, actually. The problem occurs if the servlet
flushes the response before closing it. If that happens, then part of
the response must be sent right away, regardless of the response state.

I don't know if you've seen that a lot (I have), but a lot of servlet
authors do, at the end of their servlets, somthing like:
out.flush();
out.close();
This forces use of chunking (or a connection close in HTTP/1.0 with
keep-alive).

> Hence the main reason for chunked encoding and the requirement
> HTTP/1.1 clients support it.
>
> Any HTTP/1.1 client must support chunked encoding, if not then it is
> broken and really don't need to be taken into account.  If someone
> doesn't want to support chunked encoding, they shouldn't be making
> HTTP/1.1 requests.

Yes, that's the idea :)

Remy

Re: [5.0] [PROPOSAL] Make output buffer size limit configurable

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.

Posted by David Wood <Da...@thestreet.com>.
Let's be nice to each other, Remy. I want to help.

My question was very specific. Why, when I check out TOMCAT_4_1_24, does
it not match what's in your jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-LE-jdk14.zip source
bundle?

The bugzilla #'s aren't closed, but I want to be sure these fixes are
already in, and provide a more useful diff.

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg44405.html

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Wood <Da...@thestreet.com>.
Speaking of jasper, I'm very sorry to interrupt again, and I know it's bad
etiquette to repeat myself, but I have two patches to outstanding bugs in
Jasper and I'm just asking for a little help navigating your CVS
repository so I can make it easy for you to get them in.

Details here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg44405.html

Regards,
-David

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Luehe <Ja...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Bill Barker wrote:
>>>How about making the output buffer size limit configurable?
>>>(A value of "-1" could mean indefinite growth, if people know what they
>>>are doing.)
>>
>> I also dislike the proposal, but since it's configurable, and off by
>> default
>> I can limit myself to -0.  The biggest problem I see is that "if people
>> know what they are doing", then they would never dream of enabling the
>> option :).
>
> I will vote -1 to the proposal:
> - this has no actual performance benefits that I can see
> - this is equivalent to a "benchmark" flag, where the server is slightly
> faster, but isn't useful for anything but throughtput testing (since the
> server would eventually just die)
>
> Do you see such a benchmark setting in the HTTPd ? I think not.
> I have nothing about people optimizing code, but the optimizations
> should have an actual usefulness (such as tag pools, which some people
> like). If the optimization makes the server unusable, then it shouldn't
> be there.

It can also be useful if you have a client that doesn't support "chunked
encoding" - which is probably true for a _lot_ of scripting tools.
If there is any other way to have the response not use chunked encoding,
then I agree this is not needed.

Do we still support HTTP/1.0 or some request header to disable the encoding?

Costin

Re: [5.0] [PROPOSAL] Make output buffer size limit configurable

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
> >>How about making the output buffer size limit configurable?
> >>(A value of "-1" could mean indefinite growth, if people know what they
> >>are doing.)
> >
> > I also dislike the proposal, but since it's configurable, and off by
default
> > I can limit myself to -0.  The biggest problem I see is that "if people
know
> > what they are doing", then they would never dream of enabling the option
:).

> I will vote -1 to the proposal:
> - this has no actual performance benefits that I can see
> - this is equivalent to a "benchmark" flag, where the server is slightly
> faster, but isn't useful for anything but throughtput testing (since the
> server would eventually just die)
>
> Do you see such a benchmark setting in the HTTPd ? I think not.
> I have nothing about people optimizing code, but the optimizations
> should have an actual usefulness (such as tag pools, which some people
> like). If the optimization makes the server unusable, then it shouldn't
> be there.

Ok, you've convinced me.  Changing my vote to -1.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by Jan Luehe <Ja...@Sun.COM>.
Remy,