Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org> on 2009/04/22 21:56:53 UTC

AWL and FP's....

Hallo!

Just curious if anyone has ever found a 'clean' way to handle the 'damage'
done to the AWL when someone's mail is blocked by a false positive, and
the sender is stupid enough to keep retrying the offending mail?

I would rather not turn off AWL. I like the way it gives a negative score
bias to frequent correspondents. But is there a (sub)setting to allow me
to permit the negative bias, but *not* allow it to add a positive one?

And while I'm at it, can anyone verify whether 'constantcontact' is really
a legit mail service or a spam haven? That's the FP that caused this
issue....

- Charles

Re: AWL and FP's....

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.
Charles Gregory wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> Just curious if anyone has ever found a 'clean' way to handle the
> 'damage' done to the AWL when someone's mail is blocked by a false
> positive, and the sender is stupid enough to keep retrying the
> offending mail?

any manual learning (sa-learn?) should delete bad awl entries.

and constantcontact, has in the past not been as selective with their
clients as they could be.

Even the most responsive and legit of these services gets a bad client,
now and again.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

Re: AWL and FP's....

Posted by Jeff Mincy <je...@delphioutpost.com>.
   From: Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>
   Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:56:53 -0400 (EDT)

   Just curious if anyone has ever found a 'clean' way to handle the 'damage'
   done to the AWL when someone's mail is blocked by a false positive, and
   the sender is stupid enough to keep retrying the offending mail?

Meaning that the first message from the sender was incorrectly marked
as spam and AWL then made sure that all subsequent messages from the
same sender were also marked as spam?

The easiest way to fix it is to smash the AWL entry with spamassassin
--add-to-whitelist or remove the AWL entry using --remove-from-whitelist.

   I would rather not turn off AWL. I like the way it gives a negative score
   bias to frequent correspondents. But is there a (sub)setting to allow me
   to permit the negative bias, but *not* allow it to add a positive one?

Nope - the only thing you can do is set the factor which acts on both
positive and negative scores.

   And while I'm at it, can anyone verify whether 'constantcontact' is really
   a legit mail service or a spam haven? That's the FP that caused this
   issue....

they do email for various organizations.

-jeff