Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca> on 2021/08/19 18:35:31 UTC

-1s on committed but not released code?

Hi Y'all,

This just recently came up but I'm not super sure on how we want to handle
this in general. If code was committed under the lazy consensus model and
then a committer or PMC -1s it post merge, what do we want to do?

I know we had some previous discussion around -1s, but that was largely
focused on pre-commit -1s.

Cheers,

Holden :)

Books (Learning Spark, High Performance Spark, etc.):
https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9  <https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9>
YouTube Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/user/holdenkarau

Re: -1s on committed but not released code?

Posted by Tom Graves <tg...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 So personally I think its fine to comment post merge but I think an issue should also be filed (that might just be me though).  This change was reviewed and committed so if someone found a problem with it, then it should be officially tracked as a bug.
I would think a -1 on a already committed issue is very rare and the person who gave it should give technical reasons for it. From that reason it should be fairly clear, if its a functional bug just fix it as a bug, if its something else with the design then I think it has to be discussed further.  In my opinion it has been committed and is valid until that discussion comes to a conclusion.   The one argument against that is if something is pushed in very quickly and people aren't given time to adequately review.  I can see in that case where you might revert it more quickly.
Tom

    On Thursday, August 19, 2021, 08:25:14 PM CDT, Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Yeah, I think we can discuss and revert it (or fix it) per the veto set. Often problems are found later after codes are merged.

2021년 8월 20일 (금) 오전 4:08, Mridul Muralidharan <mr...@gmail.com>님이 작성:

Hi Holden,
  In the past, I have seen discussions on the merged pr to thrash out the details.Usually it would be clear whether to revert and reformulate the change or concerns get addressed and possibly result in follow up work.
This is usually helped by the fact that we typically are conservative and don’t merge changes too quickly: giving folks sufficient time to review and opine.
Regards,Mridul

--
Twitter: https://twitter.com/holdenkarau
Books (Learning Spark, High Performance Spark, etc.): https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9 YouTube Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/user/holdenkarau

Re: -1s on committed but not released code?

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mridul Muralidharan <mr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Holden,