Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by richk <rk...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/17 04:50:15 UTC

Can't manage users - spinning loading gear

I've been running Guacamole for some time now as a stand alone install (not
docker). I'm running tomcat8 with nginx sitting in front of it and MySQL
auth provider. This setup worked great for a long time.

I recently upgraded to v1.0.0 and rebuilt the database by dropping it and
running the two .sql files to create a schema and guacadmin user from
scratch. I can login fine with guacadmin, change my password, add users, add
connections, everything accept when I now go to Settings > Users > *Select
user in list* the page never loads. All I see is a spinning gear icon like
the page is loading, but that only happens when I select a user other than
the one I'm logged in with. If I select guacadmin for example, the page
loads fine, BUT if I click save to save any changes I get Permission Denied.

Seems like a DB issue, but I don't see anything obvious. Any ideas?

Additional Info:

guacamole.properties ---------

# Hostname and port of guacamole proxy
guacd-hostname: localhost
guacd-port:     4822

# Auth provider class (authenticates user/pass combination, needed if using
the provided login screen)
#auth-provider:
net.sourceforge.guacamole.net.basic.BasicFileAuthenticationProvider
auth-provider:
net.sourceforge.guacamole.net.auth.mysql.MySQLAuthenticationProvider
#basic-user-mapping: /etc/guacamole/user-mapping.xml

mysql-hostname: localhost
mysql-port: 3306
mysql-database: guacamole_db
mysql-username: guacamole_user
mysql-password: password
mysql-user-required: true

mysql --------

catalina.out DEBUG starting as trying to visit user management page

Re: Can't manage users - spinning loading gear

Posted by richk <rk...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mike turning off proxy_intercept_errors did the trick!

I upgraded from 0.9.14 to 1.0.0. Prior to the upgrade that nginx config
didn't seem to interfere with anything. I appreciate the help!

-Rich

Re: Can't manage users - spinning loading gear

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 12:28 PM richk <rk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When trying to access another users setting with guacadmin I get 404 error
> for this URL ...

This is expected - the object being queried with this REST request doesn't
exist, and that fact is communicated to the client with a 404. The code in
this case does not assume that the object exists, and is merely testing
whether there is additional data to be displayed. This is not actually an
error in this context and is not directly a cause of the issue you're
seeing.

I also wanted to provide the nginx config that has worked just fine up until
> now:

How old was your Guacamole installation prior to this?

                proxy_intercept_errors on;

Setting proxy_intercept_errors will likely cause Nginx to interfere with
Guacamole's REST API. Error responses from the REST API are expected under
normal circumstances (such as when testing whether an object exists) and
will contain JSON details in addition to the raw HTTP error code. You
should allow errors to pass through. You may be inadvertently mangling the
content of REST API responses.

I recommend removing this.

- Mike

Re: Can't manage users - spinning loading gear

Posted by richk <rk...@gmail.com>.
I wanted to provide more information since this is has become quite a
blocker for me. Any help would be great.

Related to the original post:

When trying to access another users setting with guacadmin I get 404 error
for this URL and the spinning gear just keep loading:

https://site.com/guacamole/api/session/data/mysql-shared/users/test?token=844DFEC560F61FA96BB537F8A356418506B0258E401D6B88FF27FEE4776B9073

When I access guacadmin settings page (which displays) and try to save
anything I get 403 error in the browser console for this URL:

https://site.com/guacamole/api/session/data/mysql/users/guacadmin?token=844DFEC560F61FA96BB537F8A356418506B0258E401D6B88FF27FEE4776B9073

I also wanted to provide the nginx config that has worked just fine up until
now:

upstream tomcat {
    server 127.0.0.1:8080 fail_timeout=0;
}

server {
        listen 80 default_server;
        listen [::]:80 default_server;
        server_name site.com;
        return 301 https://$server_name$request_uri;
}

server {

        # SSL configuration

        listen 443 ssl http2 default_server;
        listen [::]:443 ssl http2 default_server;
        include snippets/ssl-cert.conf;
        include snippets/ssl-params.conf;

        root /var/www/html;

        index index.html index.htm index.nginx-debian.html;

        server_name site.com;

        location / {
                # First attempt to serve request as file, then
                # as directory, then fall back to displaying a 404.
                #try_files $uri $uri/ =404;
                include proxy_params;
                proxy_pass http://tomcat/;
                proxy_intercept_errors on;
                proxy_buffering off;
                proxy_http_version 1.1;
                proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
                proxy_set_header Connection $http_connection;
                access_log off;
        }

        error_page 404 /error/error.html;

}