Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ca...@nc.rr.com on 2007/07/05 22:34:19 UTC

A few 3.2.1 questions

OK, i am not sure who has been following the "upgrade to 3.2" thread but
i think i have it installed and working? At least spamassassin --lint
and a spamassassin -D < gtube.txt identifies the GTUBE as spam. But a
few things that i don't understand: 1)there is no "spamd" anymore? I do
not have a spamd in my "services". Also a /etc/init.d/spamd stop/start
produces a "command not found". 2)The ok_locales is not in the local.cf,
Can i put ok_locales in the local.cf file and it work? and 3) We had
3.1.0 installed and working before this craziness of upgrading. With
3.1.0 on SLES9, if i remember right, we had to install
perl-mail-spamassassin. This time, to get 3.2.1 installed, i installed
from source and did not install any perl-mail-spamassassin. Is this correct?

Re: A few 3.2.1 questions

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
carnold5@nc.rr.com wrote:
> OK, i am not sure who has been following the "upgrade to 3.2" thread but
> i think i have it installed and working? At least spamassassin --lint
> and a spamassassin -D < gtube.txt identifies the GTUBE as spam. But a
> few things that i don't understand:

> 1)there is no "spamd" anymore? I do
> not have a spamd in my "services". Also a /etc/init.d/spamd stop/start
> produces a "command not found".
The source installer does not install a startup script for spamd, as the
structures of these scripts are platform specific. In the past, I assume
you've used you've used distribution packages, and those would naturally
know what platform you're running, thus what init script to use.

You can copy one of the ones that is included in the spamd directory to
/etc/init.d/spamd. There are example ones for redhat, slackware,
old-style suse, netbsd and solaris.

>  2)The ok_locales is not in the local.cf,
> Can i put ok_locales in the local.cf file and it work?
Yes, but you need to make sure the textcat plugin is loaded in your
v310.pre. This works *exactly* the same as 3.1.x.

> and 3) We had
> 3.1.0 installed and working before this craziness of upgrading. With
> 3.1.0 on SLES9, if i remember right, we had to install
> perl-mail-spamassassin. This time, to get 3.2.1 installed, i installed
> from source and did not install any perl-mail-spamassassin. Is this correct?

Yes. Some distros split SA up into multiple packages, but the source
tarball installs the perl modules, utilities, rules, etc all in one blow.