Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org> on 2003/07/18 12:23:20 UTC

[fortress] 200 000 instances created at startup?

Hiya all!

I played around with Fortress and jProfiler a bit and noticed that at
startup, Fortress creates around 200 000 instances and at first garbage
collection, this count drops to the normal level (~3000). This can be
problematic as it can cause mark stack overflow in the garbage collector...

Is this due to the way Fortress initializes all the components in the
backround? How can I get rid of this behaviour, some configuration
option somewhere perhaps?

Thanks,
Neeme

Re: [fortress] 200 000 instances created at startup?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Neeme Praks wrote:

> Hiya all!
>
> I played around with Fortress and jProfiler a bit and noticed that at
> startup, Fortress creates around 200 000 instances and at first garbage
> collection, this count drops to the normal level (~3000). This can be
> problematic as it can cause mark stack overflow in the garbage collector...
>
> Is this due to the way Fortress initializes all the components in the
> backround? How can I get rid of this behaviour, some configuration
> option somewhere perhaps?

Hard to say.  Instances of what?  I can't really tell you until I have
a better idea.  It might be something to do with the BCEL proxy generator.
Try using either no proxy or the Java proxy and see how this affects things.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin