Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Ford <ab...@bath.ac.uk.INVALID> on 2019/05/10 15:23:07 UTC

Minor version upgrades

Hello,

We've running many instances of Tomcat 8.5 on some dozens of linux
servers.  All of this is being managed by Puppet using the puppetforge
tomcat module.

The Puppet module that deploys tomcat simple checks to see if the
NOTICE file is the correct place to determine whether or not it should
unpack a provided tarball into Catalina_home.

My question is this - as we've gone and placed our catalina_base folder
within a subfolder of catalina_home, we're not going to want to simply
delete the C_H folder to reinstall a newer version.

Is it safe/sane to unpack a new minor release (say 8.5.40) over the
existing installation of (8.4.32) over an existing Catalina_Home?

Or should I simply bite the bullet, rework my puppet code to deploy the
instances outside of Catalina_Home and wipe C_H before redeploying it
with a  newer version?

Regards,
Dave

Re: Minor version upgrades

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Peter and Dave,

On 5/10/19 17:16, Peter Kreuser wrote:

> Dave
>
>> Am 10.05.2019 um 17:23 schrieb Dave Ford
>> <ab...@bath.ac.uk.invalid>:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We've running many instances of Tomcat 8.5 on some dozens of
>> linux servers.  All of this is being managed by Puppet using the
>> puppetforge tomcat module.
>>
>> The Puppet module that deploys tomcat simple checks to see if
>> the NOTICE file is the correct place to determine whether or not
>> it should unpack a provided tarball into Catalina_home.
>>
>> My question is this - as we've gone and placed our catalina_base
>> folder within a subfolder of catalina_home, we're not going to
>> want to simply delete the C_H folder to reinstall a newer
>> version.
>>
>> Is it safe/sane to unpack a new minor release (say 8.5.40) over
>> the existing installation of (8.4.32) over an existing
>> Catalina_Home?
>>
>> Or should I simply bite the bullet, rework my puppet code to
>> deploy the instances outside of Catalina_Home and wipe C_H before
>> redeploying it with a  newer version?
>
> Take a big bite and make the most of the separation of home and
> base.

+1

> Well you noticed the point of the separate directories already.

Having them completely separate also means that you can leave the old
CATALINA_HOME directory in-place and, if necessary, downgrade with
very little effort.

- -chris

Re: Minor version upgrades

Posted by Peter Kreuser <lo...@kreuser.name>.
Dave

> Am 10.05.2019 um 17:23 schrieb Dave Ford <ab...@bath.ac.uk.invalid>:
>
> Hello,
>
> We've running many instances of Tomcat 8.5 on some dozens of linux
> servers.  All of this is being managed by Puppet using the puppetforge
> tomcat module.
>
> The Puppet module that deploys tomcat simple checks to see if the
> NOTICE file is the correct place to determine whether or not it should
> unpack a provided tarball into Catalina_home.
>
> My question is this - as we've gone and placed our catalina_base folder
> within a subfolder of catalina_home, we're not going to want to simply
> delete the C_H folder to reinstall a newer version.
>
> Is it safe/sane to unpack a new minor release (say 8.5.40) over the
> existing installation of (8.4.32) over an existing Catalina_Home?
>
> Or should I simply bite the bullet, rework my puppet code to deploy the
> instances outside of Catalina_Home and wipe C_H before redeploying it
> with a  newer version?

Take a big bite and make the most of the separation of home and base.

Well you noticed the point of the separate directories already.

> Regards,
> Dave

Just my 2ct

Peter