Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Maybin Muyeba <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2002/07/02 15:33:55 UTC

Forte Running SVG program - not terminating Java program threads

hi,

I have written a program in Java that draws Bar GRaphs and Pie
graphs using SVG DOM. But when I run the program in Forte IDE, the
program thread does not terminate after writing to file the output
SVG file.

So if I run five times, I have five (java.exe) processes in Task
Manager of Windows 2000.

What is the fix for this? I know when I use System.exit(0) in my
code, it will terminate but my class files are being used in other
peoples classes.  And I probably do not ant to write my classes as
extending the Thread or Runnable class.

Help

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

MM> hi, I have written a program in Java that draws Bar GRaphs and Pie
MM> graphs using SVG DOM. But when I run the program in Forte IDE, the
MM> program thread does not terminate after writing to file the output
MM> SVG file.

MM> So if I run five times, I have five (java.exe) processes in Task
MM> Manager of Windows 2000.

MM> What is the fix for this? I know when I use System.exit(0) in my
MM> code, it will terminate but my class files are being used in other
MM> peoples classes.  And I probably do not ant to write my classes as
MM> extending the Thread or Runnable class.

    I suspect that the issue is the AWT event threads. They should
only came into existence when Windows are created.  If you are
creating windows then I think you have to System.exit() for the
program to terminate.  All GUI apps have to deal with this.  So if
your classes are used by another application then you should rely on
that other application calling System.exit when the time comes.

    Otherwise I suggest you print the execution stack for all the
active threads and see where they are comming from.