Posted to repository@apache.org by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl> on 2005/01/11 21:56:30 UTC

Re: Where to publish Xalan code on http://www.apache.org/dist (fwd)

Hi,

  [ I cut this from another message ; I hope it is correct ]

--On Wednesday, January 5, 2005 6:43 AM +1100 Brett Porter

> This is for Maven users (and possible future tools, eg I believe Ant 1.7
> has repository support) to be able to get your releases easily (releases
> only -

>        development snapshots to http://cvs.apache.org/repository).

  This was put in 'java-repository/maven/poms/' just now :

    Jan 11 11:43 maven-site-plugin-1.6-SNAPSHOT.pom
    Jan 11 11:43 maven-site-plugin-1.6-SNAPSHOT.pom.md5

  Just to make sure : isn't this a 'development snapshot' ?
  Shouldn't this have gone to 'http://cvs.apache.org/repository' ?

  HPP

----------------------------------------------------------------   _
Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
http://www.cs.uu.nl/staff/henkp.html          M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/

Re: Where to publish Xalan code on http://www.apache.org/dist (fwd)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
> Clearly there is vague definition here if this symlink can point at a
> release like this.

Yes, this is exactly the problem. Theoretical intention aside, all
SNAPSHOT means in practice now is that if you depend on it, Maven will
always check for something newer. What newer means is at the
discretion of the person deploying the JAR.

Maven no longer writes symlinks to the repository, so to clear up
confusion, I think it's best to move them to cvs.apache.org/repository
along with the timestamped builds.

> Some are concerned that removing these could cause some folks distros to
> break. Though, no one in thier right mind should release against a SNAPSHOT.

I agree, and anyone that has made a source distro that uses SNAPSHOT
is probably already broken because it will build against something
different to what they released originally. (Sepcific timestamps,
again, are different. The adoption of them in a release is also not a
great practice, but at least makes it reproducible).

Nobody is building against java-repository, they are using ibiblio, so
there is no harm in cleaning these up AFAICT.

By monitoring it going forward to make sure nothing goes in there,
documenting it as policy, and probably adding support to Maven to
enforce it, nothing should get to ibiblio either and we'll all be much
happier :)

- Brett

Re: Where to publish Xalan code on http://www.apache.org/dist (fwd)

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@apache.org>.
Dion,

Maybe I formed my ideas earlier in Mavens history when SNAPSHOT was
simply a symlink that could be moved to point at any release. Some
places in the repository actually have SNAPSHOT symlinks that point to a
fully versioned releases... These are not interim builds...

lrwxrwxr-x  1 jvanzyl    apcvs     26 Jan 17  2004
excalibur-logger-SNAPSHOT.jar -> excalibur-logger-1.0.1.jar
lrwxrwxr-x  1 rdonkin   apcvs      16 Jul 19 15:18 jaxme-rt-SNAPSHOT.jar
-> jaxme-rt-0.3.jar
lrwxrwxr-x  1 rdonkin   apcvs      16 Jul 19 15:17 jaxme-xs-SNAPSHOT.jar
-> jaxme-xs-0.3.jar

Clearly there is vague definition here if this symlink can point at a
release like this.

Some are concerned that removing these could cause some folks distros to
break. Though, no one in thier right mind should release against a SNAPSHOT.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Open Source Software Developer

Re: Where to publish Xalan code on http://www.apache.org/dist (fwd)

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Mark is planning to do this. Timestamped builds aren't official
releases either, though in some cases they have been used so care is
needed.

Most important is that the proper use of these repositories is
properly documented and communicated to avoid it happening in the
future. Robert from Jakarta was looking at doing some release
documentation for the foundation site, so I can probably include
something there.

I'm hoping to get around to writing up other repository stuff tonight.

- Brett

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@apache.org>.

Brett Porter wrote:
>>There is another case:
>>
>>maven.repo.central.directory=/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository
>

> By Maven 1.0 this was deprecated. You can now specify multiple
> deployment targets, so I have:
>
> maven.repo.apache=scp://www.apache.org
> maven.repo.apache.directory=/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository
>
> and
>
> maven.repo.apachecvs=scp://cvs.apache.org
> maven.repo.apachecvs.directory=/www/cvs.apache.org/repository
>
> with maven.repo.list=apachecvs by default. The release manager uses
> -Dmaven.repo.list=apache to publish to the other location. This can be
> enforced by permissions if we really have a problem (though once
> people get harassed about snapshots when they turn up, I think it'll
> quickly stop).

Bingo! Very cool. It's definitly not very clear in the Maven docs that
one can do this. I think this should be in the project.properties of all
Maven based projects.

-Mark

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:53:04 -0500, Mark R. Diggory <md...@apache.org> wrote:
> As I was discussing in the jakarta-general list earlier. There are a
> number of projects with mavan project properties setup with the
> following parameter.
>
> maven.repo.remote=http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/,http://www.ibiblio.org

The projects really should change - it's not necessary because of the
sync. Some have cvs.prod.f2.com.au/repository in there - and that's
fine if they require newer builds than those released.

> There is another case:
>
> maven.repo.central.directory=/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

By Maven 1.0 this was deprecated. You can now specify multiple
deployment targets, so I have:

maven.repo.apache=scp://www.apache.org
maven.repo.apache.directory=/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

and

maven.repo.apachecvs=scp://cvs.apache.org
maven.repo.apachecvs.directory=/www/cvs.apache.org/repository

with maven.repo.list=apachecvs by default. The release manager uses
-Dmaven.repo.list=apache to publish to the other location. This can be
enforced by permissions if we really have a problem (though once
people get harassed about snapshots when they turn up, I think it'll
quickly stop).

There will still be accidents, as I did the other day :(

Other things that need doing:
- sign code before pushing it up
- publish to a stage location so it can be vetted by a script for a
valid md5, asc and that it isn't a SNAPSHOT, before copying it to the
release location

> this is actually bad as well, because the developers cutting interim
> builds will deploy them accidentally into the java-repository. I feel
> that this should be avoided as well by everyone but the release manager.

Ok, I'll include this in the document I'm still trying to get to :(

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Where to publish Xalan code on http://www.apache.org/dist (fwd)

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@apache.org>.
As I was discussing in the jakarta-general list earlier. There are a
number of projects with mavan project properties setup with the
following parameter.

maven.repo.remote=http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/,http://www.ibiblio.org

Bretts correct that in this case the requests should fall over to
ibibilio. It would be wise that Projects probably shouldn't be
hardcoding the java-repository here. They should leave assigning this
param upto the release manager for the project and use the default for
all their development.

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@apache.org>.

Henk P. Penning wrote:
>>My bad. I copied it to the wrong location. I fixed the JARs, forgot
>>the POMs and will remove them next time I have SSH access.
>

>   Ok ; fine ; I was afraid I missed something.
>
>   To generalise a little further, are all *SNAPSHOT* thingies in
>   the repository 'bad' (as in, don't belong there) ?

Given the problems we have defining them! I'm going to say YES.

>   How about stuff like this (a *SNAPSHOT* symlink to a
>   date-like *20040825.214656* thing) ?

Very BAD

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>.
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Brett Porter wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:39:54 +1100
> From: Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Subject: Re: Where to publish Xalan code on http://www.apache.org/dist
>     (fwd)
>
> Henk,
>
> My bad. I copied it to the wrong location. I fixed the JARs, forgot
> the POMs and will remove them next time I have SSH access.

  Ok ; fine ; I was afraid I missed something.

  To generalise a little further, are all *SNAPSHOT* thingies in
  the repository 'bad' (as in, don't belong there) ?

  How about stuff like this (a *SNAPSHOT* symlink to a
  date-like *20040825.214656* thing) ?

  ./turbine/poms/maven-turbine-plugin-SNAPSHOT.pom
    -> maven-turbine-plugin-20040825.214656.pom

  We have 474 '*SNAPSHOT*' files and 174 symlinks.

  [henkp@minotaur]-: find . -name '*SNAPSHOT*' -type f -ls | wc
       474    5214   75820
  [henkp@minotaur]-: find . -name '*SNAPSHOT*' -type l -ls | wc
       174    2262   32093

  Remove ?

> - Brett

  HPP

----------------------------------------------------------------   _

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Henk,

My bad. I copied it to the wrong location. I fixed the JARs, forgot
the POMs and will remove them next time I have SSH access.

- Brett

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@apache.org>.

Henk P. Penning wrote:

>   Hm, it would seem the latest sanctioned 'maven' is in
>
>     /www/www.apache.org/dist/maven/binaries/maven-1.0.2.tar.gz
>
>   .. unpacking it shows me
>
>     maven-1.0.2/plugins/maven-site-plugin-1.5.2.jar
>
>   so the latest sanctioned maven-site-plugin appears to be '1.5.2'.
>
>   Or isn't it ?

Possibly, depends on which version maven decided to package, it could be
an older version in the repo. I'm not sure this adiquates portrays the
issue.

>   Also, if SNAPSHOT is no different than "LATEST" or "CURRENT",
>   what does "LATEST" or "CURRENT" stand for ?? ( 1, 2, 3 ..)

My point exactly! I look at where its used and I see mixed meanings.

1.) It could be a link to a interim build
2.) It could be a copy of a interim build.
3.) It could be a link to a full release.
4.) It could be a copy to a full release.

Its used by Maven to set dependency resolution to be dynamic, so that if
a dependecy deploys a new version (interim or release) to the repository
and moves the SNAPSHOT link/copy to point at it, then the project
dependency resolves to use it. I don't know how many projects take
advantage of it, we've avoided it over time in the Jakarta Commons
because its hard to cut a release when its dependent on an interim build
that is very different than the previous release.

-Mark

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>.
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:04:31 -0500
> From: Mark R. Diggory <md...@apache.org>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Subject: Re: Where to publish Xalan code on http://www.apache.org/dist
>     (fwd)
>
> Mixed terminology again. if the "SNAPSHOT" refers to a fully sanctioned
> release not an interim or daily build, then the usage is fine. Remember
> in this case SNAPSHOT is no different than "LATEST" or "CURRENT". I wish
> we could have Maven folks explore usage of a more accurate terminology
> for these.

  Hm, it would seem the latest sanctioned 'maven' is in

    /www/www.apache.org/dist/maven/binaries/maven-1.0.2.tar.gz

  .. unpacking it shows me

    maven-1.0.2/plugins/maven-site-plugin-1.5.2.jar

  so the latest sanctioned maven-site-plugin appears to be '1.5.2'.

  Or isn't it ?

  Also, if SNAPSHOT is no different than "LATEST" or "CURRENT",
  what does "LATEST" or "CURRENT" stand for ?? ( 1, 2, 3 ..)

> -Mark

  HPP

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
I'd say it is a development snapshot. Brett has been working on the
site plugin, and looks like he published it to the wrong place.