Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Pe...@ubs.com on 2006/11/10 18:27:25 UTC

[m2] List of All Dependencies for any project X

Hi Jason, Brett et al

How do you get a list of all dependencies (transitive or declared) for
any M2 project?

Basically I want to find out the list so I can cross reference against
an in-house
repository here at UBS.

The idea is to tell the administrator here with the in-house what
dependencies
they should be including, so that we don't have to use any external
sites.

Is this possible?

--
Peter Pilgrim
UBS Investment Bank,

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

related financial instruments.

Re: [m2] List of All Dependencies for any project X

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
dependency plugin or "mvn site" with latest project-info reports plugin

On 11/10/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:

> Hi Jason, Brett et al
>
> How do you get a list of all dependencies (transitive or declared) for
> any M2 project?
>
> Basically I want to find out the list so I can cross reference against
> an in-house
> repository here at UBS.
>
> The idea is to tell the administrator here with the in-house what
> dependencies
> they should be including, so that we don't have to use any external
> sites.
>
> Is this possible?
>

> --
> Peter Pilgrim
> UBS Investment Bank,
> PTS Portal / IT FIRC OPS LDN,
> 100 Liverpool Street, London EC2M 2RH, United Kingdom
> +44 (0) 20 75 75692
> :: Java EE / E-Commerce / Enterprise Integration / Development ::
>
> Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

> arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore
> of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If
> verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This
> related financial instruments.

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

RE: [m2] List of All Dependencies for any project X

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.
No. It wont work at all

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]

Project ID: com.ubs.firc.ptsp.faketop:faketop
POM Location: V:\pilgripe_PTSP1_2\LDN_PTS\build\faketop\pom.xml
Validation Messages:

    [0]  Packaging 'jar' is invalid. Aggregator projects require 'pom'
as packaging.

Reason: Failed to validate POM
--
Peter Pilgrim
UBS Investment Bank,
PTS Portal / IT FIRC OPS LDN,
100 Liverpool Street, London EC2M 2RH, United Kingdom
+44 (0) 20 75 75692
:: Java EE / E-Commerce / Enterprise Integration / Development ::

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

related financial instruments.

RE: [m2] List of All Dependencies for any project X

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.

Would a dummy project with a fake artifact work? I wonder ...
--
Peter Pilgrim
UBS Investment Bank,
PTS Portal / IT FIRC OPS LDN,
100 Liverpool Street, London EC2M 2RH, United Kingdom
+44 (0) 20 75 75692
:: Java EE / E-Commerce / Enterprise Integration / Development ::

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

related financial instruments.

RE: [m2] List of All Dependencies for any project X

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.

Well I can see a use-case where we need to get this list project
(sub-project)
of dependencies in some thing other than HTML, e.g. CSV or simply a text
file in
some format.

Then we need to feed this file into a `correlation engine' for
a Maven Mirror. This engine would tell I have the dependency X here
but I don't have the dependency Y here at all.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 13/11/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:
> Guess I must be missing something elementary here with report set up,
> because I definitely have the latest 2.0.1 on my machine. Unfortunately
> I don't see the aggregate view for all the sub projects at all.

Subprojects.. right, so you're running this as a pom project.  I
haven't tried to use the report under multi-module builds, so not sure
how aggregation would work.  Anyone else know much about this?

Mark

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 13/11/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:
> Running `mvn -U project-info-reports:dependencies'. Does not get the
> latest
> version. Where is the latest version in the SVN tree? And is the one in
> SVN actually working now?

The latest version is 2.0.1:

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin/2.0.1/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-project-info-reports-plugin/

Mark

RE: [m2] List of All Dependencies for any project X

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.
==////==

> On 13/11/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:
> > Ok when I try running `mvn project-info-reports:dependencies' on my
> > client's own project I don't see this grand total view.
> > I can see only the dependencies relevant to the current
> project that I
> > am in, even it is the (root) master project.
> > (e.g. the daytrader/pom.xml). Is it making sense now?
>
> Right, I see.  This is what the latest dependency report does
> in fact display.  Check the example report:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin/depend
encies.html

This is the correct report

> It shows the immediate dependencies (Project Dependencies);
> all transitive dependencies (Project Transitive Dependencies)
> (what you require I believe); and the dependency tree
> (Project Dependency Graph).

Excellent. This is what I really want.

> If you're not seeing that maybe you're running an old version?

Running `mvn -U project-info-reports:dependencies'. Does not get the
latest
version. Where is the latest version in the SVN tree? And is the one in
SVN actually working now?

Cheers

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 13/11/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:
> Ok when I try running `mvn project-info-reports:dependencies' on my
> client's own project I don't see this grand total view.
> I can see only the dependencies relevant to the current project
> that I am in, even it is the (root) master project.
> (e.g. the daytrader/pom.xml). Is it making sense now?

Right, I see.  This is what the latest dependency report does in fact
display.  Check the example report:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin/dependencies.html

It shows the immediate dependencies (Project Dependencies); all
transitive dependencies (Project Transitive Dependencies) (what you
require I believe); and the dependency tree (Project Dependency
Graph).

If you're not seeing that maybe you're running an old version?

> Wrong flag (twice in one day, huh)
>
> du -s /usr/src

Heh, I get you now.

Mark

RE: [m2] List of All Dependencies for any project X

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.

Forgot about that ... clearly did not explain my problem

==////==

> Hmm, not too sure I understand what you mean there.  The
> dependency tree in the aforementioned report will give you
> the full dependency hierarchy for whichever project you run it under.

Let take it step backwards. Let say I am working with the DayTrader J2EE
project in the BBWB pdf.

daytrader

   +--client
   |  |
   |  +--streamer
   |  +--wsappclient
   |  \--pom.xml

   +--server
   |  +--ear
   |  +--ejb
   |  +--web
   |  \--pom.xml

   \--pom.xml

I would like to see a full list of dependencies required for the whole
of DayTrader J2EE application and all of it sub-projects `client',
`client/streamer'
`client/wsappclient' , `server', `server/ear'.

I would rather see it is one report under
`daytrader/target/site/dependencies.html' instead of a series
of separate reports under
`daytrader/{client,server}/**/target/site/dependencies.html'

Ok when I try running `mvn project-info-reports:dependencies' on my
client's own project I don't see this grand total view.
I can see only the dependencies relevant to the current project
that I am in, even it is the (root) master project.
(e.g. the daytrader/pom.xml). Is it making sense now?

> > Here is the analogy: The difference between with the
> traditional UNIX
> > command
> >
> >         (1) du /usr/src

du /usr/src

> > and
> >
> >       (2) du -k /usr/src

Wrong flag (twice in one day, huh)

du -s /usr/src

> This just changes the units to kilobytes, not sure what the
> analogy is here?
==////==

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 13/11/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:
> Can you make this report easily descend recursively through sub-projects
> or not ?

Don't you get a dependency tree like on this report?:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin/dependencies.html

Mark

RE: [m2] List of All Dependencies for any project X

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.
Thanks just is what I was looking for.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 13/11/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:
> So this is no go, then until the Mojo is released.

Kind of - I could submit the patch in the meantime, but really it just
gives the same info as the dependency reports plugin.

Mark

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

On 13/11/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:
> Is this a MOJO or plug-in? I loaded this project from the ZIP into
> Eclipse and
> built it from the command. I commented out the maven-shared-component
> definition
> in the pom.xml.
>
> How do I use this plug-in? There are no descriptions or secret
> parameters
> that I can see.

It's a plexus component rather than a mojo.  It will be used by MPH-14
once it has been committed - I'm holding off submitting that patch in
case the shared component API needs to change.

Mark

RE: [m2] List of All Dependencies for any project X

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.
Hi Mark

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 10/11/06, Sebastien Brunot <sb...@ilog.fr> wrote:
> Mark Hobson seems to have authored mojos that does this:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2654

Yep, that's the prerequisite to provide a patch for
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPH-14, which is the cleanest
solution.  Although as Barrett mentioned, this will indeed give the
same info as obtained from mvn project-info-reports:dependencies.

Mark

RE: [m2] List of All Dependencies for any project X

Posted by Sebastien Brunot <sb...@ilog.fr>.
Hi,

Mark Hobson seems to have authored mojos that does this:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2654

Hope it helps,

Sebastien

How do you get a list of all dependencies (transitive or declared) for
any M2 project?

Basically I want to find out the list so I can cross reference against
an in-house repository here at UBS.

The idea is to tell the administrator here with the in-house what
dependencies they should be including, so that we don't have to use any
external sites.

Is this possible?

--
Peter Pilgrim
UBS Investment Bank,
PTS Portal / IT FIRC OPS LDN,
100 Liverpool Street, London EC2M 2RH, United Kingdom
+44 (0) 20 75 75692
:: Java EE / E-Commerce / Enterprise Integration / Development ::

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you should not
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please notify the sender
delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not
message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification
is required please request a hard-copy version.  This message is
provided for informational purposes and should not be construed as a
solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or related financial
instruments.