Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2007/08/24 03:42:57 UTC

Re: svn commit: r569204 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/experimental: config.m4 mod_rewrite_filter.c mod_sedfilter.c

wrowe@apache.org wrote:
> Author: wrowe
> Date: Thu Aug 23 17:54:15 2007
> New Revision: 569204

> Log:
> SEDFILTER has several anomolies; first, it's not SED syntax,
> but more mod-rewrite like (and using the rewrite pcre parser).
> Secondly, 'FILTER' in the filter name is redundant.  Simplify,
> by renaming this 'REWRITE' filter.
>
> Added:
>     httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/experimental/mod_rewrite_filter.c
>       - copied, changed from r568483, httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/experimental/mod_sedfilter.c

My -1 was out there for a number of months, without the essential objection
being addressed.  Since it wasn't addressed, I'm exercising my only alternative
to an outright veto.  If we can't find a compromise, of course we can revert
the entire story, but I'd like to avoid that.

I'm happy with a number of alternative names, mod_pcre_filter, mod_text_filter,
mod_subst_filter, whatever, a number come to mind. The fact is, mod_sed_filter
was nothing close to a sed implementation.  Yes, I'm more of an awk fanboi than
a sed user, but I'd expect a sed_filter to be exactly that.  I'm also completely
and perpetually irritated by some companies such as M$ which don't respect the
existing glossaries of computer science, insisting on inventing new words or
using the wrong words for old ideas :)

And before anyone claims it's near enough - yes - there really is one.
http//happygiraffe.net/mod_sed

Bill

Re: svn commit: r569204 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/experimental: config.m4 mod_rewrite_filter.c mod_sedfilter.c

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:

>>> [*] mod_substitute
>
> I like mod_substitute... (I thought "filter" was redundant *duck* :) )

So mod_substitute it is :)

Fixing

Re: svn commit: r569204 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/experimental: config.m4 mod_rewrite_filter.c mod_sedfilter.c

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Aug 24, 2007, at 4:03 AM, Ian Holsman wrote:

> Ruediger Pluem wrote:

>> [*] mod_substitute
>>

> I'm the same as Ruediger, but would also suggest mod_replace.
> regards

I like mod_substitute... (I thought "filter" was redundant *duck* :) )

mod_edit_response ??

Re: svn commit: r569204 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/experimental: config.m4 mod_rewrite_filter.c mod_sedfilter.c

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.
Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> On 08/24/2007 05:30 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>>> or [*] mod_substitute
>>> or [*] mod_regex_replace, or ...
>>>

> [*] mod_substitute

I'm the same as Ruediger, but would also suggest mod_replace.
regards
Ian

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 08/24/2007 05:30 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>>> I changed it, I'll be happy (urp) to change it again
>>>
>>>   [ ] mod_pcre_filter
>>>   [ ] mod_text_filter
>>>   [*] mod_subst_filter
>>>   [ ] mod_rewrite_filter
>> or [*] mod_substitute
>> or [*] mod_regex_replace, or ...

[*] mod_substitute

Regards

RĂ¼diger

Re: svn commit: r569204 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/experimental: config.m4 mod_rewrite_filter.c mod_sedfilter.c

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Aug 23, 2007, at 7:21 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> Joshua Slive wrote:

>>> I hate "mod_rewrite_filter". That's just asking for confusion with
>>> mod_rewrite. I prefer any of the above suggestions. (But then again,
>>> I'm not planning to make the change myself, so feel free to ignore me.)
>
> That was my thought as well -- it is hard enough to document
> mod_rewrite already.
>
>> I changed it, I'll be happy (urp) to change it again
>>
>>   [ ] mod_pcre_filter
>>   [ ] mod_text_filter
>>   [*] mod_subst_filter
>>   [ ] mod_rewrite_filter
> or [*] mod_substitute
> or [*] mod_regex_replace, or ...

Yup, more good suggestions.  (Transliterating your choices, and others
sure can consider those too.)

>> ...I believe we should extend the module to also accept env replacements
>> from the current request.  Sure, it's not there yet, but with that
>> feature, it maps to rewrite more closely than most anything.
>
> And that's a good thing?  Modules are supposed to be, well, modular.

Of course :)

Actually, the implementation looks nothing like mod_rewrite's.  Given that
the pattern match/replace is the most expensive, and the list of these
substitutions is short, it's probably cheapest to build two pattern lists,
those with env substitutions and those without.  Those that have any
substitions can build a temp table of those entries, appending on a copy
of the constant list at request run time.  (Of course the constants
themselves would not be duplicated, just their indexes, and only if there
are any dynamic entries to process).

Bill

Re: svn commit: r569204 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/experimental: config.m4 mod_rewrite_filter.c mod_sedfilter.c

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Aug 23, 2007, at 7:21 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Joshua Slive wrote:
>> On 8/23/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm happy with a number of alternative names, mod_pcre_filter,
>>> mod_text_filter,
>>> mod_subst_filter, whatever, a number come to mind. The fact is,
>>> mod_sed_filter
>>> was nothing close to a sed implementation.
>>
>> I hate "mod_rewrite_filter". That's just asking for confusion with
>> mod_rewrite. I prefer any of the above suggestions. (But then again,
>> I'm not planning to make the change myself, so feel free to ignore
>> me.)

That was my thought as well -- it is hard enough to document
mod_rewrite already.

> I changed it, I'll be happy (urp) to change it again
>
>   [ ] mod_pcre_filter
>   [ ] mod_text_filter
>   [ ] mod_subst_filter
>   [ ] mod_rewrite_filter
>
> My vote is the last one.  Here's my thought...

mod_subst_filter, or mod_substitute, or mod_regex_replace, or ...

> ...I believe we should extend the module to also accept env
> replacements
> from the current request.  Sure, it's not there yet, but with that
> feature,
> it maps to rewrite more closely than most anything.

And that's a good thing?  Modules are supposed to be, well, modular.

....Roy

Re: svn commit: r569204 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/experimental: config.m4 mod_rewrite_filter.c mod_sedfilter.c

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 8/23/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm happy with a number of alternative names, mod_pcre_filter, mod_text_filter,
>> mod_subst_filter, whatever, a number come to mind. The fact is, mod_sed_filter
>> was nothing close to a sed implementation.
>
> I hate "mod_rewrite_filter". That's just asking for confusion with
> mod_rewrite. I prefer any of the above suggestions. (But then again,
> I'm not planning to make the change myself, so feel free to ignore me.)

I changed it, I'll be happy (urp) to change it again

  [ ] mod_pcre_filter
  [ ] mod_text_filter
  [ ] mod_subst_filter
  [ ] mod_rewrite_filter

My vote is the last one.  Here's my thought...

...I believe we should extend the module to also accept env replacements
from the current request.  Sure, it's not there yet, but with that feature,
it maps to rewrite more closely than most anything.

But cast away, and I'll switch.

Bill

Re: svn commit: r569204 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/experimental: config.m4 mod_rewrite_filter.c mod_sedfilter.c

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/23/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> I'm happy with a number of alternative names, mod_pcre_filter, mod_text_filter,
> mod_subst_filter, whatever, a number come to mind. The fact is, mod_sed_filter
> was nothing close to a sed implementation.

I hate "mod_rewrite_filter". That's just asking for confusion with
mod_rewrite. I prefer any of the above suggestions. (But then again,
I'm not planning to make the change myself, so feel free to ignore
me.)

Joshua.