Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Rajini Sivaram <rs...@apache.org> on 2018/03/29 09:27:17 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Kafka 1.1.0 Released

The Apache Kafka community is pleased to announce the release for

Apache Kafka 1.1.0.

Kafka 1.1.0 includes a number of significant new features.

Here is a summary of some notable changes:

** Kafka 1.1.0 includes significant improvements to the Kafka Controller

   that speed up controlled shutdown. ZooKeeper session expiration edge
cases

   have also been fixed as part of this effort.

** Controller improvements also enable more partitions to be supported on a

   single cluster. KIP-227 introduced incremental fetch requests, providing

   more efficient replication when the number of partitions is large.

** KIP-113 added support for replica movement between log directories to

   enable data balancing with JBOD.

** Some of the broker configuration options like SSL keystores can now be

   updated dynamically without restarting the broker. See KIP-226 for
details

   and the full list of dynamic configs.

** Delegation token based authentication (KIP-48) has been added to Kafka

   brokers to support large number of clients without overloading Kerberos

   KDCs or other authentication servers.

** Several new features have been added to Kafka Connect, including header

   support (KIP-145), SSL and Kafka cluster identifiers in the Connect REST

   interface (KIP-208 and KIP-238), validation of connector names (KIP-212)

   and support for topic regex in sink connectors (KIP-215). Additionally,

   the default maximum heap size for Connect workers was increased to 2GB.

** Several improvements have been added to the Kafka Streams API, including

   reducing repartition topic partitions footprint, customizable error

   handling for produce failures and enhanced resilience to broker

   unavailability.  See KIPs 205, 210, 220, 224 and 239 for details.

All of the changes in this release can be found in the release notes:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/kafka/1.1.0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

You can download the source release from:

https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi?path=/kafka/1.1.0/kafka-1.1.0-src.tgz

and binary releases from:

https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi?path=/kafka/1.1.0/kafka_2.11-1.1.0.tgz

(Scala 2.11)

https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi?path=/kafka/1.1.0/kafka_2.12-1.1.0.tgz

(Scala 2.12)

Apache Kafka is a distributed streaming platform with four core APIs:

** The Producer API allows an application to publish a stream records to

one or more Kafka topics.

** The Consumer API allows an application to subscribe to one or more

topics and process the stream of records produced to them.

** The Streams API allows an application to act as a stream processor,

consuming an input stream from one or more topics and producing an output

stream to one or more output topics, effectively transforming the input

streams to output streams.

** The Connector API allows building and running reusable producers or

consumers that connect Kafka topics to existing applications or data

systems. For example, a connector to a relational database might capture

every change to a table.three key capabilities:

With these APIs, Kafka can be used for two broad classes of application:

** Building real-time streaming data pipelines that reliably get data

between systems or applications.

** Building real-time streaming applications that transform or react to the

streams of data.

Apache Kafka is in use at large and small companies worldwide, including

Capital One, Goldman Sachs, ING, LinkedIn, Netflix, Pinterest, Rabobank,

Target, The New York Times, Uber, Yelp, and Zalando, among others.

A big thank you for the following 120 contributors to this release!

Adem Efe Gencer, Alex Good, Andras Beni, Andy Bryant, Antony Stubbs,

Apurva Mehta, Arjun Satish, bartdevylder, Bill Bejeck, Charly Molter,

Chris Egerton, Clemens Valiente, cmolter, Colin P. Mccabe,

Colin Patrick McCabe, ConcurrencyPractitioner, Damian Guy, dan norwood,

Daniel Wojda, Derrick Or, Dmitry Minkovsky, Dong Lin, Edoardo Comar,

ekenny, Elyahou, Eugene Sevastyanov, Ewen Cheslack-Postava, Filipe Agapito,

fredfp, Gavrie Philipson, Gunnar Morling, Guozhang Wang, hmcl, Hugo Louro,

huxi, huxihx, Igor Kostiakov, Ismael Juma, Ivan Babrou, Jacek Laskowski,

Jakub Scholz, Jason Gustafson, Jeff Klukas, Jeff Widman, Jeremy
Custenborder,

Jeyhun Karimov, Jiangjie (Becket) Qin, Jiangjie Qin, Jimin Hsieh, Joel
Hamill,

John Roesler, Jorge Quilcate Otoya, Jun Rao, Kamal C, Kamil Szymański,

Koen De Groote, Konstantine Karantasis, lisa2lisa, Logan Buckley,

Magnus Edenhill, Magnus Reftel, Manikumar Reddy, Manikumar Reddy O,
manjuapu,

Manjula K, Mats Julian Olsen, Matt Farmer, Matthias J. Sax,

Matthias Wessendorf, Max Zheng, Maytee Chinavanichkit, Mickael Maison,
Mikkin,

mulvenna, Narendra kumar, Nick Chiu, Onur Karaman, Panuwat Anawatmongkhon,

Paolo Patierno, parafiend, ppatierno, Prasanna Gautam, Radai Rosenblatt,

Rajini Sivaram, Randall Hauch, Richard Yu, RichardYuSTUG, Robert Yokota,

Rohan, Rohan Desai, Romain Hardouin, Ron Dagostino, sachinbhalekar,

Sagar Chavan, Sandor Murakozi, Satish Duggana, Scott, Sean McCauliff,

Siva Santhalingam, siva santhalingam, Soenke Liebau, Steven Aerts, Study,

Tanvi Jaywant, tedyu, Tobias Gies, Tom Bentley, Tommy Becker, Travis
Wellman,

umesh chaudhary, Vahid Hashemian, Viktor Somogyi, Wladimir Schmidt,

wushujames, Xavier Léauté, Xin Li, Yaswanth Kumar, ying-zheng, Yu, Yu-Jhe

Many thanks to Damian Guy for driving this release.

We welcome your help and feedback. For more information on how to

report problems, and to get involved, visit the project website at

http://kafka.apache.org/

Thank you!

Rajini

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Kafka 1.1.0 Released

Posted by Dong Lin <li...@gmail.com>.
Great news! Thanks Damian and Rajini for running this release!

Posted by James Cheng <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edoardo Comar <EC...@uk.ibm.com>.
Great to hear! thanks for driving the release process.

Edoardo Comar

IBM Message Hub

IBM UK Ltd, Hursley Park, SO21 2JN

From:   Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>
To:     Users <us...@kafka.apache.org>
Cc:     kafka-clients <ka...@googlegroups.com>, dev
<de...@kafka.apache.org>
Date:   29/03/2018 10:46
Subject:        Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Kafka 1.1.0 Released

Great news, thanks Damian and Rajini for running this release!

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__dist.apache.org_repos_dist_release_kafka_1.1.0_RELEASE-5FNOTES.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=EzRhmSah4IHsUZVekRUIINhltZK7U0OaeRo7hgW4_tQ&m=hcT9l8smi-Mzd7IISQuozrFaicWvFgNLeI3qS-iAH5I&s=K-fcOSRqIsNLv7Ffi2OLvPk1BrdrmxRaM0O9bUUvzFY&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.apache.org_dyn_closer.cgi-3Fpath-3D_kafka_1.1.0_kafka-2D1.1.0-2Dsrc.tgz&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=EzRhmSah4IHsUZVekRUIINhltZK7U0OaeRo7hgW4_tQ&m=hcT9l8smi-Mzd7IISQuozrFaicWvFgNLeI3qS-iAH5I&s=ngOY3Ljm4YLxr-prOs8mDRjvDSLo-Wtq_i6ttpcwTPg&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.apache.org_dyn_closer.cgi-3Fpath-3D_kafka_1.1.0_kafka-5F2.11-2D1.1.0.tgz&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=EzRhmSah4IHsUZVekRUIINhltZK7U0OaeRo7hgW4_tQ&m=hcT9l8smi-Mzd7IISQuozrFaicWvFgNLeI3qS-iAH5I&s=VKdrqsCBxq9gqE4lOyULufMnALwmReTva42dx5NiuUk&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.apache.org_dyn_closer.cgi-3Fpath-3D_kafka_1.1.0_kafka-5F2.12-2D1.1.0.tgz&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=EzRhmSah4IHsUZVekRUIINhltZK7U0OaeRo7hgW4_tQ&m=hcT9l8smi-Mzd7IISQuozrFaicWvFgNLeI3qS-iAH5I&s=IS_fkPnoQlL2-dHZzVGTJajOtrUFrRoi0r37D0O5qL8&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__kafka.apache.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=EzRhmSah4IHsUZVekRUIINhltZK7U0OaeRo7hgW4_tQ&m=hcT9l8smi-Mzd7IISQuozrFaicWvFgNLeI3qS-iAH5I&s=UCtyzs9iJ3f6GUFC-l6-eQvfWBdQdK2uHZaMwDIoYm4&e=

> Thank you!
>

> Rajini

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Kafka 1.1.0 Released

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for running the release.

Posted by zhenya Sun <to...@126.com>.
good !!

From:   Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>
To:     Users <us...@kafka.apache.org>
Cc:     kafka-clients <ka...@googlegroups.com>, dev
<de...@kafka.apache.org>
Date:   29/03/2018 10:46

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Kafka 1.1.0 Released

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Thanks to Damian and Rajini for running the release and thanks to everyone
who helped make it happen!

Ismael

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <rs...@apache.org>.
[...]

https://www.apache.org/dist/kafka/1.1.0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

You can download the source and binary releases from:

http://kafka.apache.org/downloads

Posted by James Cheng <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.