Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Hernan Silberman <hs...@pdi.com> on 2003/12/22 19:53:20 UTC

[cache] project status query...

I'm interested to know the status of the cache sandbox project.  Looks very
nice, I'd like to know if it's being actively worked on and how mature the code
is.  I noticed there are no builds available and not much documentation yet so I
thought I'd ask the list.

thanks!
Hernan

Re: [cache] project status query...

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
On 22-Dec-03, at 19:53 Uhr, Hernan Silberman wrote:

> I'm interested to know the status of the cache sandbox project.  Looks
> very
> nice, I'd like to know if it's being actively worked on and how mature
> the code
> is.  I noticed there are no builds available and not much
> documentation yet so I
> thought I'd ask the list.

And I'll add to that that it's been usable on our side...

Paul

[configuration] nightly builds (was: Re: [cache] project status query...)

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <e....@cross-systems.com>.
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> For what it's worth, I've added commons-cache to the list of projects for which
> I create nightly builds every night ... they will be available as of tomorrow:
>
>   http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly/commons-cache/
>
> As long as "ant clean dist" works, I can do nightly builds for pretty much any
> commons and commons-sandbox project.

configuration doesn't seem to have nightly builds yet, would it be
possible to add it to the list ?

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [cache] project status query...

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting Emmanuel Bourg <e....@cross-systems.com>:

> I suggested a new orientation for [cache] earlier this month but it
> hasn't received much feedback :
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg31432.html
>
> The idea was to turn it into an abstraction layer for cache
> implementations just like commons logging for logging implementations.
> Any thought on this ?

I think am abstraction layer (somewhat in the spirit of what commons-logging
tries to do for logging implementations) would be interesting.

For what it's worth, I've added commons-cache to the list of projects for which
I create nightly builds every night ... they will be available as of tomorrow:

  http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly/commons-cache/

As long as "ant clean dist" works, I can do nightly builds for pretty much any
commons and commons-sandbox project.

> Emmanuel Bourg

Craig

RE: [cache] project status query...

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Re: [cache] project status query...To be honest, I think an abstraction
versus yet another implmentation would be more useful.  Currently I can
count off  maybe 10 or 15 different implementations of caching, all a bit
different..  Unless commons cache has something that makes it special, I
wouldn't be inclined to use it as yet another implementation.

For ideas on abstracting a cache, check out how Hibernate does it.  Being
able to work with multiple different types of cache's was one of the big
features in 2.1.

Eric

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <e....@cross-systems.com>.

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
Not a lot of activity, I'm afraid. Using maven you can build the cache
component very easy but I cannot comment on how mature the code is.

Jakarta has another cache system: http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/jcs/
No release yet but a little more active then sandbox cache.

Take you pick... and let us know the strong points of each
implementation, that way we know if it would be usefull to merge the two.

-- Dirk