Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Duong <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/06 23:12:58 UTC

[users@httpd] Hung balancer members on HTTPd

Hi,

When a hung balancer member becomes unresponsive, is there a way to
configure mod_proxy_balancer to stop sending traffic to the http member?

In our case, we periodically have a hung balancer member caused by an error
in our application, but while this is being resolved, we are trying
configure HTTPd 2.2.15 with mod_proxy and mod_proxy_balancer so that when a
balancer member does not respond within a certain amount of time, the load
balancer will stop sending traffic to the member. So far, our only solution
is to modify the 502+503 error pages to clear cookies and essentially
refresh the page. The balancer member property 'ping' would be ideal, but
it is only available in 2.4 for mod_proxy_http or ajp. Currently, when a
balancer member becomes non-responsive, when the proxytimeout occurs,
apache returns a 502 HTTP response. We currently use balancer manager to
disable the member on all servers, but it reports the non-responsive member
as being "Ok" and will continue to send requests to the balancer member
until manually disabled.

Best Regards,

David Duong

Re: [users@httpd] Hung balancer members on HTTPd

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net>.
On 4/6/2013 4:12 PM, David Duong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When a hung balancer member becomes unresponsive, is there a way to
> configure mod_proxy_balancer to stop sending traffic to the http member?
>
> In our case, we periodically have a hung balancer member caused by an
> error in our application, but while this is being resolved, we are
> trying configure HTTPd 2.2.15 with mod_proxy and mod_proxy_balancer so
> that when a balancer member does not respond within a certain amount
> of time, the load balancer will stop sending traffic to the member. So
> far, our only solution is to modify the 502+503 error pages to clear
> cookies and essentially refresh the page. The balancer member property
> 'ping' would be ideal, but it is only available in 2.4 for
> mod_proxy_http or ajp. Currently, when a balancer member becomes
> non-responsive, when the proxytimeout occurs, apache returns a 502
> HTTP response. We currently use balancer manager to disable the member
> on all servers, but it reports the non-responsive member as being "Ok"
> and will continue to send requests to the balancer member until
> manually disabled.
David;
   Nothing available today, but I actually started work on adding this
functionality but got distracted - it's a very simple patch. I will try
to get something into trunk within the next week and will plan to
backport to 2.2.

--
Daniel Ruggeri