Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Tyler Lubeck <ty...@tylerlubeck.com> on 2019/12/02 18:54:13 UTC

SSLAuthentication Exception JMX

Hi!

I ran into an issue over the weekend where our automated system updated
some of our brokers with a certificate signed by a new certificate
authority but didn't update the truststore on the other brokers. I've
dumped the stacktrace in a gist
<https://gist.github.com/TylerLubeck/a734514d8a2e9936f35e223f90f21307> for
context.

From what I've been able to tell, this error only shows up in logs. It'd be
useful to have this reported via other metrics as well so I can detect the
problem sooner next time around.

I *think* it'll be something like updating the SSLTransportLayer
<https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/be58580e14be93618f11e609389ff6bb16317702/clients/src/main/java/org/apache/kafka/common/network/SslTransportLayer.java#L50>
have a counter of number of failures and then registering itself as an
mbean via CoreUtils
<https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/33d06082117d971cdcddd4f01392006b543f3c01/core/src/main/scala/kafka/utils/CoreUtils.scala#L140>.
That said, I'm new to Java development and have only touched JMX from the
'oh neat, metrics' side of things.

Is this worth pursuing? Is this roughly the right track? I'm more than
happy to add this in but I'm not entirely sure how to start.

Thanks,
Tyler Lubeck
(813) 469 - 1499
www.TylerLubeck.com <http://www.tylerlubeck.com/>
www.linkedin.com/in/tylerlubeck/

Re: SSLAuthentication Exception JMX

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Tyler,

One way to find the metrics  exported by Kafka is to use a tool like jconsole.

best,
Colin

Posted by Tyler Lubeck <ty...@tylerlubeck.com>.

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.