Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Jeroen Kransen (DT)" <kr...@holmes.nl> on 2005/11/03 09:42:05 UTC

RE: [HttpClient] HttpClient and Applets

Oleg, Paul,

Thank you for your responses. I got it that the problem is not related
to HttpClient, but to the AccessController. And indeed I wrote the host
name right, or it wouldn't work without proxy. :-)

For sure I'll be very glad to be able to /detect/ the proxy settings,
and it looks like the classes you showed do that for me. However, I
doubt that /knowing/ the proxy settings will solve the issue, since I
already know the settings now. :-)

My point was that I wonder if it will work at all, since the proxy will
still be a different host than the one I downloaded the Applet from. The
existence of this PluginProxyTest suggests that it is useful in a Java
applet to detect (and use?) the settings, so my real question(s) is
(are):

Dit anyone get an Applet contact the originating server successfully
through a Proxy, other than by downloading images and sounds? And more
specifically: by using HttpClient? Is there a more straightforward way
to do GETs (and if possible, POSTs) from an Applet instead of by using
HttpClient?

Jeroen

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
The AppletContext class gives you this and you should use it.
(getDocumentBase() or something such?)
This will be the URL of the proxy, of course, which you expect to relay
your http call.

paul