Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2011/12/22 07:55:27 UTC

[WWW] Changeover is Close - Final Tasks!

Hi Everyone,

The http:ooo-site.apache.org version of www.openoffice.org is ready for review before migration. There are several last issues for people to review.

(1) What news stories should we have on ooo-site.apache.org ready for migration on /index.html?

(2) /mail_lists.html needs review and/or redirection to the podling site. Please help.

The email subscribes, unsubscribes and links have been updated for:

ooo-users		for user@oo.o
ooo-dev			for dev@*oo.o and discuss@oo.o
ooo-announce 	for announce@oo.o
ooo-marketing	for dev@marketing.oo.o
ooo-utenti		for utenti@oo.o (is this correct? it should be ooo-utenti-il...)

Other @openoffice.org addresses will continue to function. That is a different migration for another discussion.

(3) /about/index.html and related need review and editing to fit the realities of being at the ASF. Please help.

(4) http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html needs review - it is where users will go. Please help tell the AOO projects story!

(5) What do we do about email archives of openoffice.org?

The archives are accessed through servlets on Kenai. These will become 404s when we change the DNS. Are the archives available elsewhere? GMane. These links are all over.

(6) We will be changing references to Projects and Project Leaders to Teams and Team Leaders (thanks Kay for the idea! it's not perfect..).

It is a question for the project about what to do with the "Team Leader" category and the name. There is probably consensus to eliminate "Leaders". I do think it is worth retaining this information until it is determined if the individuals mentioned contribute to the AOO(i) project. We can play with this after migration, but it would be good to be consistent for the start.

(7) What else?

I am expecting that @openoffice.org email aliases will not be disabled by migrating the OpenOffice.org site to the ASF.

All other issues are minor and can wait, at least that is my opinion. Yours may differ!

Native Language versions of the top navigation and adjustments to those rules can wait. There are choices, but migrating is more important!

Best Regards,
Dave

Re: [WWW] Changeover is Close - Final Tasks!

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Dec 26, 2011, at 4:12 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Teams and Team Leaders (thanks Kay for the idea! it's not perfect..).

>>> Leader" category and the name. There is probably consensus to eliminate
>>> "Leaders". I do think it is worth retaining this information until it is
>>> determined if the individuals mentioned contribute to the AOO(i) project.
>>> We can play with this after migration, but it would be good to be
>>> consistent for the start.

>>> I try ;-D

>>> If you follow the thread and the commits from Kay today, you'll see that
>>> we've removed the project leader column!
>>>
>>> The people page is a good idea. I think that the Apache concept is very ad
>>> hoc. ooo-dev is the place to form up teams for various activities. (I've
>>> recently read a history of the Comanches.)
>>>
>>> I wonder if we should discuss two of the topnav buttons currently on
>>> ooo-site - Teams and Develop.
>>>
>>> I think Teams should be renamed Project and ought to link to a new page
>>> that combines projects/accepted.html and incubator.html. The OOo projects
>>> become tables of links into ooo-site.  People, mailing lists and
>>> get-involved would be linked to in the podling site. An explanation that at
>>> Apache Teams are formed on ooo-dev. If you are interested in an
>>> improvement: bring it up, help may appear, a team may form.
>>>

>> Hi Dave--
>>
>> Playing catch up here. The idea of renaming "Teams" to "Project" seems
>> worthwhile, I think. Although I think "Project" might need some further
>> definition especially is we present a *list* of items. Some suggestions:
>> Project Areas, Development Areas, Focus Areas? Maybe I'm just muddying the
>> waters I don't know.
>>

> "Project" already has a meaning at Apache. Do we really want to
> overload that term?  I like "Focus Areas".  I was going to suggest it
> before, but I wasn't sure if the term was familiar to non-native
> English speakers.

Let's change Teams to "Focus" and the page "Focus Areas"

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.
On 12/22/2011 03:27, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Exactly. It doesn't exist on Apache Infra. It's Kenai.  What do we do? Do we care? I don't. Who will change the site and how? Should it be before the migration or after?
>
> Regards,
> Dave

*I* care! As owner/moderator of a pair of the old lists, I use that page
daily. SYMPA has problems, which I haven't bothered to complain about –
who cares? SYMPA and Kenai are going away – but I can compensate by
moderating from that page.

The need for that page is certainly temporary, until the old site, and
the old lists, go away. In the meantime, I would certainly appreciate it
if you can arrange to maintain access thereto.

/tj/

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Dave,

My being a committer and being competent to CTR http://ooo-site.apache.org/mail_list.html are two different things.  (Plus I don't see how that page relates to the problem I am pointing at.)

I have not learned what it takes to contribute to ooo-site and I am not going to be setting aside an existing backlog of promises to learn that today.

When you talk about redirecting openoffice.org to www.openoffice.org, are you talking about a redirect on the domain name or a redirect of http://openoffice.org/index.html or whatever the default page is?

I see you have a later message and I'll respond to that now.

 - Dennis

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
No. What I'd recommend is to put a redirect into
ooo-site so it points at the lists url on openoffice.org.
At least until there's corresponding content available
for ooo-site at which point you can remove the redirect
back to openoffice.org.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Joe,

It turns out that these /servlet urls fail on the existing www.openoffice.org. Nothing to do here.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Dennis,

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

I know that what www.openoffice.org does now.  The only speculation I *had* to make is that ooo-site.apache.org is going to be served up as www.openoffice.org, since it hasn't happened yet.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
All I know is that

So if you are only redirecting http://openoffice.org/ (or its index page) to http://www.openoffice.org, no deep linking into openoffice.org will redirect, is that right?  And only http://www.openoffice.org/ ... URLs will see ooo-site.apache.org/ ... paths, is that that the idea?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Now I'm even more confused.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
FWIW, there are now double backslashes, it redirects to

http://www.openoffice.org/pt-br//

but it works :).

Thanks!

Pedro.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Pedro,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.
On 26/12/2011 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> I still can't help you since I haven't got access so far. Anyway, even
> if it breaks, given the current status of Extensions and Templates I
> believe that broken authentication will just be a minor annoyance.

Unfortunately it seems that authentication on the Extensions site is
broken at the moment. I don't know if this is the result of some
undisclosed maintenance work (the site is much more responsive than
usual) or of the DNS migration, but the timing is worth a check.

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/user
dies with
   ---
The login is currently not possible: http://eis.services.openoffice.org/
- HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
   ---
so the URL we were wondering about is probably somewhere under
eis.services.openoffice.org

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [WWW] Changeover is Close - Final Tasks!

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.
On 23/12/2011 03:15, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> got some information about Extensions and Templates clarifying that
>> the authentication depends on http://openoffice.org/something and
>> not on a to-be-migrated subdomain, right?
>
> I don't have that confirmation. Just that it makes sense from the
> clear distinction - show me where extensions.services.oo.o does its
> login now.

I still can't help you since I haven't got access so far. Anyway, even
if it breaks, given the current status of Extensions and Templates I
believe that broken authentication will just be a minor annoyance.

So I will just try to authenticate there after the migration has been
completed and see if it is OK; if not, there will be time to fix it.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [WWW] Changeover is Close - Final Tasks!

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Dec 22, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 22/12/2011 Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Website migration is decoupled from the following other issues:
>> - Mailing List cutover. (ooo-site should avoid allowing users to subscribe to the old lists.)
>> - @openoffice.org forwarder cut-off.
>> - openoffice.org ids and extensions and templates access.
>
> OK, so if I get correctly from this and the other messages we will still be able to moderate legacy lists (actually, other volunteers do it much more often than I do) at http://openoffice.org/projects/it/lists/ (which is good) and you got some information about Extensions and Templates clarifying that the authentication depends on http://openoffice.org/something and not on a to-be-migrated subdomain, right?

I don't have that confirmation. Just that it makes sense from the clear distinction - show me where extensions.services.oo.o does its login now.

Or, maybe Gavin or Joe can say.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Joe,

Well, I did my research and the project infrastructure remains available in Oracle's Kenai through http://openoffice.org/projects/

I think that we have passed all the technical hurdles to moving forward!

On Dec 22, 2011, at 11:09 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Well I recommend we start with simply
> switching over www.openoffice.org,
> which can be done anytime.  Once that
> has been sorted, we can do 2-3 others
> just to ensure the rewrite rule works,
> then the rest.

A good plan. Now to move on (1), (2), (3) and (4) - our message to the Community as they hit the migrated OOo site and we are ready to go!

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
<orcmid comments="in-line" />

Posted by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 16:55, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> The http:ooo-site.apache.org version of www.openoffice.org is ready for review before migration. There are several last issues for people to review.

FYI...
I have made a few changes on the Documentation pages and am slowly
working my way through others. During the shift to Kenai, Clayton
changed most of the links to point to the wiki, and a lot of the pages
in the Docs area are obsolete. We've kept those pages (with referrals
to the wiki) instead of deleting them, to avoid breaking incoming
links. More needs to be done to clean out other obsolete material, but
I don't think any of that work is necessary before changeover. I don't
know how many files (sxw, odt, pdf) are still around that should be
purged, but that's a later exercise I assume.

I don't think I'll have an opportunity to help with anything else,
such as your items (3) and (4), although I would like to.

--Jean

Re: [WWW] Changeover is Close - Final Tasks!

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
On 2011-12-23, at 12:12 , Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>wrote:
>
>> Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>>> [...] I left the N-L contacts alone for now, since I don't know what
>>>
>>> the status of that is.
>>>

>> It is equally outdated, but it would probably be better to write "Contact"
>> instead of "Project Lead" in the table header at http://ooo-site.staging.*
>> *apache.org/projects/native-**lang.html<http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/projects/native-lang.html>
>>
>> While still being wrong in quite a few cases, this at least doesn't
>> suggest that there is an organized hierarchy in the Apache OpenOffice
>> subprojects/teams.
>>
>> I'm not changing this myself to avoid commit conflicts during migration.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andrea.
>>

> Excellent suggestion, Andrea! "Contacts" it is for N-L page!

Totally agree. The reason I chose to use "Project Lead" lies rooted in my squishy anarchism. CollabNet had a term they chose, "project owner" (remember, our old infrastructure, later named CollabNet, was based on, uhm, Apache's, courtesy Brian B and others who sort of founded the thing that became Apache SF).  "Owner" sounded, I don't know, proprietary. "Lead" sounded, at least to me, more neutral: one was "leading" not "owning." And in open source, as Brian and I have many times said, you lead by doing. Brian calls it a "do-ocracy," which sort of finesses the problematic of meritocracy vs. democracy (the two need sequence to survive each other).

But power is as power does and a rose is a rose is a rose and will smell as sweet and prick as sharp no matter what wee call it.

The power structure of Ye Olde OOo determined things. Sadly, not names.

But a new year is upon us and a new field before us. Apache has proven itself to be great, and there is every reason to take from the past what we need but not what we don't want.

So, Happy Chanukah, Winter Solstice, every other seasonal holiday, and even better, Happy New Year (I can get bubbly for that.)

ciao
louis

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23/12/2011, at 8:52, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> See:
>
> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/projects/accepted.html
>
> > for my current changes -- not yet through buildbot
>
> > I think I should jettison the "Project Leads" column entirely, and delte
> my
> > comment on them. Many are not even participating in the ASF OO project. I
> > left the N-L contacts alone for now, since I don't know what the status
> of
> > that is.
> >
> > Please advise on this one little tidbit.
>

> I agree, deleting the column of "project leads" is a good idea.
>
> --Jean

Thanks for the feedback Jean -- will do!

MzK

Posted by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> The http:ooo-site.apache.org version of www.openoffice.org is ready for
> review before migration. There are several last issues for people to review.
>
> (1) What news stories should we have on ooo-site.apache.org ready for
> migration on /index.html?
>
> (2) /mail_lists.html needs review and/or redirection to the podling site.
> Please help.
>
> The email subscribes, unsubscribes and links have been updated for:
>
> ooo-users               for user@oo.o
> ooo-dev                 for dev@*oo.o and discuss@oo.o
> ooo-announce    for announce@oo.o
> ooo-marketing   for dev@marketing.oo.o
> ooo-utenti              for utenti@oo.o (is this correct? it should be
> ooo-utenti-il...)
>
> Other @openoffice.org addresses will continue to function. That is a
> different migration for another discussion.
>
> (3) /about/index.html and related need review and editing to fit the
> realities of being at the ASF. Please help.
>
> (4) http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html needs
> review - it is where users will go. Please help tell the AOO projects story!
>
> (5) What do we do about email archives of openoffice.org?
>
> The archives are accessed through servlets on Kenai. These will become
> 404s when we change the DNS. Are the archives available elsewhere? GMane.
> These links are all over.
>
> (6) We will be changing references to Projects and Project Leaders to
> Teams and Team Leaders (thanks Kay for the idea! it's not perfect..).

yeah...and as I am meddling with this right now.

See:

 http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/projects/accepted.html

for my current changes -- not yet through buildbot

I think I should jettison the "Project Leads" column entirely, and delte my
comment on them. Many are not even participating in the ASF OO project. I
left the N-L contacts alone for now, since I don't know what the status of
that is.

Please advise on this one little tidbit.

> It is a question for the project about what to do with the "Team Leader"
> category and the name. There is probably consensus to eliminate "Leaders".
> I do think it is worth retaining this information until it is determined if
> the individuals mentioned contribute to the AOO(i) project. We can play
> with this after migration, but it would be good to be consistent for the
> start.
>
> (7) What else?
>
> I am expecting that @openoffice.org email aliases will not be disabled by
> migrating the OpenOffice.org site to the ASF.
>
> All other issues are minor and can wait, at least that is my opinion.
> Yours may differ!
>
> Native Language versions of the top navigation and adjustments to those
> rules can wait. There are choices, but migrating is more important!
>
> Best Regards,
> Dave

MzK

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Dec 27, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> for

>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.htmlneeds

>> elsewhere?

>> can

>> http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=017545616337881745421:-ceobim2oxw&hl=en

>> main
>>> search and substituted in "ooo-site.apache.org" for "*.apache.org" and
>>> voila! customized for ooo-site. I just need to look at incorporation and
>>> styling at this point. I should have a "test" on one of the pages later
>>> today.
>>
>> I think you should do your test while replacing the content on
>> /search/index.html - all of the top half of that is old/failed collabnet
>> style /servlets/.
>>

> ??? confused by what you mean here...I'll see what I can figure out!

I took your changes and put them into the bannerright div and tweaked the css - it looks great!

I am publishing these changes. I also changed the Teams menu to Focus.

We may want to adjust the search pattern and it would be good to do it in a way where the sitesearch list is stored in and seeded from a javascript.

Another fresh email in a while.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> >> dave2wave@comcast.net>

> >> ready

> for

> >> podling

> >> for:

> >> should

> >> is a

> >> the

> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.htmlneeds
> >> projects

> >> become
> elsewhere?

> >> Leaders to
> >> perfect..).

> can
> >> for

> >> this

> >> bit of
> >> pages, and

> >> OpenOffice.org's top bar.

> http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=017545616337881745421:-ceobim2oxw&hl=en
> >>
> >> Another take on that...
> >>
> >> //drew
> >>
> >> Well we do not need all this. I just took the form code from Apache's
> main
> > search and substituted in "ooo-site.apache.org" for "*.apache.org" and
> > voila! customized for ooo-site. I just need to look at incorporation and
> > styling at this point. I should have a "test" on one of the pages later
> > today.
>
> I think you should do your test while replacing the content on
> /search/index.html - all of the top half of that is old/failed collabnet
> style /servlets/.

??? confused by what you mean here...I'll see what I can figure out!

> I'll then take that and get it into the skeleton.html at the top and
> change it to www.openoffice.org & co.
>
> I'll rename Teams on the topnav to Focus at the same time.
>
> 36 hours until switchover.

oh my! duly noted!

thanks for the info...

> Regards,
> Dave
>

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
> > by the way its animals are treated."
> >                              -- Mohandas Gandhi

MzK

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Dec 26, 2011, at 2:53 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

> for
> >> review.

> >> site.

> be

> >> story!

> >> GMane.

> Leader"
> >> "Leaders".
> >> determined if
> play
> the

> is
> >>
> >> Perhaps this:
> >>
> >> http://www.google.com/cse/?hl=en
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Dave
> >>

> > OK--I will investigate. Yes, we need something!
>
> There is an example on the documentation site.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

Well as it turns out since Apache already is using google search, a bit of
a tweak and I can make the search customized  to
ooo-site.apache.orginstead of the whole of
apache.org. So, I will mockup a little search form on one of the pages, and
we can take a look.

Stay tuned.

> disabled
> >> by

> those

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
> > by the way its animals are treated."
> >                              -- Mohandas Gandhi

MzK

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > mandatory to most users.
>
> Perhaps this:
>
> http://www.google.com/cse/?hl=en
>
> Regards,
> Dave

OK--I will investigate. Yes, we need something!

> >> I am expecting that @openoffice.org email aliases will not be disabled
> by
> >> migrating the OpenOffice.org site to the ASF.
> >>
> >> All other issues are minor and can wait, at least that is my opinion.
> >> Yours may differ!
> >>
> >> Native Language versions of the top navigation and adjustments to those
> >> rules can wait. There are choices, but migrating is more important!
> >>
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Dave
> >>

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged

MzK

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Dec 26, 2011, at 2:15 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> The http:ooo-site.apache.org version of www.openoffice.org is ready for
>> review before migration. There are several last issues for people to review.
>>
>> (1) What news stories should we have on ooo-site.apache.org ready for
>> migration on /index.html?
>>
>> (2) /mail_lists.html needs review and/or redirection to the podling site.
>> Please help.
>>
>> The email subscribes, unsubscribes and links have been updated for:
>>
>> ooo-users               for user@oo.o
>> ooo-dev                 for dev@*oo.o and discuss@oo.o
>> ooo-announce    for announce@oo.o
>> ooo-marketing   for dev@marketing.oo.o
>> ooo-utenti              for utenti@oo.o (is this correct? it should be
>> ooo-utenti-il...)
>>
>> Other @openoffice.org addresses will continue to function. That is a
>> different migration for another discussion.
>>
>> (3) /about/index.html and related need review and editing to fit the
>> realities of being at the ASF. Please help.
>>
>> (4) http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html needs
>> review - it is where users will go. Please help tell the AOO projects story!
>>
>> (5) What do we do about email archives of openoffice.org?
>>
>> The archives are accessed through servlets on Kenai. These will become
>> 404s when we change the DNS. Are the archives available elsewhere? GMane.
>> These links are all over.
>>
>> (6) We will be changing references to Projects and Project Leaders to
>> Teams and Team Leaders (thanks Kay for the idea! it's not perfect..).
>>
>> It is a question for the project about what to do with the "Team Leader"
>> category and the name. There is probably consensus to eliminate "Leaders".
>> I do think it is worth retaining this information until it is determined if
>> the individuals mentioned contribute to the AOO(i) project. We can play
>> with this after migration, but it would be good to be consistent for the
>> start.
>>
>> (7) What else?
>>

> OK--more...one thing I noticed is that
>
> http://ooo-site.apache.org/
>
> has no site search function. What can be done about this? I think this is
> mandatory to most users.

Perhaps this:

http://www.google.com/cse/?hl=en

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> The http:ooo-site.apache.org version of www.openoffice.org is ready for
> review before migration. There are several last issues for people to review.
>
> (1) What news stories should we have on ooo-site.apache.org ready for
> migration on /index.html?
>
> (2) /mail_lists.html needs review and/or redirection to the podling site.
> Please help.
>
> The email subscribes, unsubscribes and links have been updated for:
>
> ooo-users               for user@oo.o
> ooo-dev                 for dev@*oo.o and discuss@oo.o
> ooo-announce    for announce@oo.o
> ooo-marketing   for dev@marketing.oo.o
> ooo-utenti              for utenti@oo.o (is this correct? it should be
> ooo-utenti-il...)
>
> Other @openoffice.org addresses will continue to function. That is a
> different migration for another discussion.
>
> (3) /about/index.html and related need review and editing to fit the
> realities of being at the ASF. Please help.
>
> (4) http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html needs
> review - it is where users will go. Please help tell the AOO projects story!
>
> (5) What do we do about email archives of openoffice.org?
>
> The archives are accessed through servlets on Kenai. These will become
> 404s when we change the DNS. Are the archives available elsewhere? GMane.
> These links are all over.
>
> (6) We will be changing references to Projects and Project Leaders to
> Teams and Team Leaders (thanks Kay for the idea! it's not perfect..).
>
> It is a question for the project about what to do with the "Team Leader"
> category and the name. There is probably consensus to eliminate "Leaders".
> I do think it is worth retaining this information until it is determined if
> the individuals mentioned contribute to the AOO(i) project. We can play
> with this after migration, but it would be good to be consistent for the
> start.
>
> (7) What else?

OK--more...one thing I noticed is that

 http://ooo-site.apache.org/

has no site search function. What can be done about this? I think this is
mandatory to most users.

> I am expecting that @openoffice.org email aliases will not be disabled by
> migrating the OpenOffice.org site to the ASF.
>
> All other issues are minor and can wait, at least that is my opinion.
> Yours may differ!
>
> Native Language versions of the top navigation and adjustments to those
> rules can wait. There are choices, but migrating is more important!
>
> Best Regards,
> Dave

MzK

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.
On 22/12/2011 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 22/12/2011 Dave Fisher wrote:
>> The email subscribes, unsubscribes and links have been updated for:
>> ... ooo-utenti for utenti@oo.o (is this correct? it should be
>> ooo-utenti-il...)
> I will take care of checking/redoing the last one. I replaced links to
> the Italian users list "utenti" on the then-live site (I mean
> it.openoffice.org linked to the Kenai SVN repository) about 24 hours ago
> and I'll port the patch to the new www.openoffice.org when it goes live.

I've just replaced in the Italian site (in the Apache SVN) all legacy
"institutional" addresses historically used by the Italian N-L Project
(like aziende, scuole, soho, stampa AT openoffice.org) with addresses we
actually control. Same for mailing lists, now redirected to
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-utenti-it/

Note that I found (and fixed within the "it" site) references to
ooo-marketing@apache.org which are probably not correct: the lists are
still on incubator.apache.org only, right?

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [WWW] Changeover is Close - Final Tasks!

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.
On 22/12/2011 Dave Fisher wrote:
> The email subscribes, unsubscribes and links have been updated for:
> ooo-users		for user@oo.o
> ooo-dev			for dev@*oo.o and discuss@oo.o
> ooo-announce 	for announce@oo.o
> ooo-marketing	for dev@marketing.oo.o
> ooo-utenti		for utenti@oo.o (is this correct? it should be ooo-utenti-il...)

I will take care of checking/redoing the last one. I replaced links to
the Italian users list "utenti" on the then-live site (I mean
it.openoffice.org linked to the Kenai SVN repository) about 24 hours ago
and I'll port the patch to the new www.openoffice.org when it goes live.
By the way, the correct list name is ooo-utenti-it@i.a.o as Dennis observed.

And thanks for your efforts!

Regards,