Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/16 03:23:05 UTC

[REPORT] [DISCUSSION][IMPORTANT] End the supports of JDK 1.6 in the agent side

Hi everyone

Here is the stat report based on our survey.

247 persons representing their companies or entities took part in this
survey.
225 are end-users (91%)

JDK compatible requirements are following
1. JDK6 13.8%
2. JDK7 12.1%
3. JDK8+ 74.1%

Clearly, most users are using JDK8+.

I will start a vote for this
1. SkyWalking 7.x(will start after 6.6.0 release) will work on JDK8+,
including the agent
2. SkyWalking 6.x will switch to maintain mode only, provides bug fix as
minimal workload
3. SkYWalking 7.x will provide compatible with 6.x agent if 6.7+ releases
are required. Unless gRPC issue makes it impossible.

If anyone has more suggestions, please let me know before I call for a vote.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> 于2019年12月15日周日 上午10:48写道: