Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2007/03/22 13:58:43 UTC

[axis2] locked="false"

Anyone mind if we remove the explicit locked="false" attributes from
most of the parameters in the default axis2.xml?

--Glen

Re: [axis2] locked="false"

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Paul Fremantle wrote:
> By the way I forgot to say --- I'm am completely +1 on removing
> locked=false.
>
> Paul
>
> PS Did you hear about the Dalai Lama at the hotdog stall.
> He said: Make me one with everything.

;-).

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [axis2] locked="false"

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

On 3/23/07, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Glen, Sanjiva
>
> If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it
> make a sound?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_a_tree_falls_in_a_forest
>
> If you remove all sign of it from axis2.xml, I don't think it matters
> whether its there or not. Most users will never see any more than
> that.
>
> Paul

> > > I am -1 on removing locked attribute , it has many usecases though we
> > > are not suing  that inside Axis2 codebase. External parties will find it
> > > very useful , I remember at the last apacheCon I heard from one of user
> > > that he is using locked attribute in his applications.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Deepal

> > If I have correctly understood the rational here, locked attribute will allow
> > me to have a setting across the server which cannot be changed by the users.
> > Meaning, by the services.xml.
> >
> > Yes, that will have valid use cases. But what are the real use cases for
> > having that attribute available in services.xml?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sanjaya

> Paul Fremantle

> paul@wso2.com

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Re: [axis2] locked="false"

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Glen, Sanjiva

Re: [axis2] locked="false"

Posted by Sanjaya Karunasena <sa...@wso2.com>.

Re: [axis2] locked="false"

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.

Re: [axis2] locked="false"

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
While I'm +1 for removing the explicit locked="false" attributes It
may not be right to trash the concept right away. IMHO I see that this
may become useful if Axis2 is in a hosting environment and the host
would not want any of his users to override his settings.
So I would say interpret the absence of the attribute  as a 'false'
but keep the concept

Ajith

On 3/22/07, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> Not only do I not mind it but can you please also remove the entire
> concept? AFAIK we have *never* found a need for the "locked" vs.
> "unlocked" concept .. so let's just dink it. YAGNI and all that.
>
> Sanjiva.
>
> Glen Daniels wrote:
> > Anyone mind if we remove the explicit locked="false" attributes from
> > most of the parameters in the default axis2.xml?
> >
> > --Glen

> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
> Founder & Director; Lanka Software Foundation; http://www.opensource.lk/
> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
> Director; Open Source Initiative; http://www.opensource.org/

Ajith Ranabahu

Re: [axis2] locked="false"

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Sanjiva:

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> Not only do I not mind it but can you please also remove the entire
> concept? AFAIK we have *never* found a need for the "locked" vs.
> "unlocked" concept .. so let's just dink it. YAGNI and all that.

:)

Well, this I have to -1.  Consider this case - a company wants to ensure
that ALL services in a particular shared Axis instance (a departmental
server, say) have particular settings for certain attributes.  Locking
allows that to happen and immediately catches any problems where
subordinate services/modules attempt to change the locked settings.  I'd
like us to continue to be able to support that kind of thing.

--Glen

Re: [axis2] locked="false"

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Glen Daniels wrote:
> Anyone mind if we remove the explicit locked="false" attributes from
> most of the parameters in the default axis2.xml?
>
> --Glen

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [axis2] locked="false"

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
+1 for doing so .

Thanks
Deepal

Glen Daniels wrote:

> Anyone mind if we remove the explicit locked="false" attributes from
> most of the parameters in the default axis2.xml?
>
> --Glen

Deepal