Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by julius <in...@softizm.com> on 2006/03/10 19:48:18 UTC

Question?

To Derby Development Community

I noticed that a number of built-in functions:

DAYNAME
WEEK_ISO
DAYS (very important)

are implemented under different databases (for example IBM DB2), but
are missing in Derby

Will these functions be implemented into Derby in the near future?

Thanks

Julius

Re: Question?

Posted by yeradis <ye...@gmail.com>.
i suppose yes
and its true , that functions and useful tools ;-)

sorry by my english

Re: User code sharing? [ was: Re: Question?]

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>Stanley Bradbury wrote:
>

>>yeradis wrote:
>>

>>>why other tools like sql server , postgres , oracle, enterprisedb, ...
>>>and last but not less Access  are good?
>>>i think  because they have built-in functions , simple funtions like
>>>julius mentioned
>>>
>>>of course what i mentioned is a very small feature
>>>but this small thinks are big aprecciated by the normal user
>>>

>>====  SNIP  ===
>>
>>Is there a way that, as people implement such functions they could make
>>the code available to others in the community who are also interested in
>>the features?  I guess I am thinking of a Derby user code sharing area.
>>It seems a shame that others interested in the functions might need to
>>write the same code and worse that users who do not program in JAVA
>>cannot easily gain this functionality.
>>

>We might be able to create a place on the Derby Wiki (
>http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ ) for users to share code.
>
>One concern I have about putting it on the Wiki is users must contribute
>code under the ASL (http://www.apache.org/licenses/) , and there's no
>way to enforce that with the Wiki. For example, when you upload a file
>to a Jira issue it includes a step that allows granting license to the
>ASF. The Wiki doesn't have that feature.
>
>I'll ping community@apache.org to see what other apache projects are doing.
>
> -jean

I thought that might be a problem.  Thanks for checking to see if there
is a precedent for this .

Re: User code sharing? [ was: Re: Question?]

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by yeradis <ye...@gmail.com>.
staleny what about your work ???
i mean the docs ;-)

Posted by yeradis <ye...@gmail.com>.
yes that is true Stanley
is a shame but
if my mind is no broken :-p
there is a place where somebody can start a task and if the developers
accept it they include on derby
where is ?? now yes my mind is broken :-p
Jean know where is , she told me

and that other is true too
is  a shame that we all program the same things when we can create a User
coder sharing area like you called it ;-)
but i think of the functions are globally acceptable , requeste a permission
to include it on derby built-in functions ;-)

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.

Re: Question?

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
yeradis wrote:
> why other tools like sql server , postgres , oracle, enterprisedb, ... and
> last but not less Access  are good?
> i think  because they have built-in functions , simple funtions like julius
> mentioned
>
> of course what i mentioned is a very small feature
> but this small thinks are big aprecciated by the normal user

I agree that everyone would appreciate having all of these functions in
Derby. Anyone can feel free to request them -- tips for filing Jira
issues are at http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html .

And, better yet, anyone is welcome to contribute them to Derby.  Open
source development isn't like commercial development -- and this can
sometimes cause confusion.  Development at Apache depends on volunteers
to step forward and implement new functionality or even fix bugs. These
functions might be an good starting point for anyone who wants to
contribute to Derby and I bet there would be lots of help on derby-dev
to do exactly that.

> and i thinks that derby way is not only for engineers is too for some people
> looking a solutions for their daily problems ;-)

I agree with you completely.

> and again :-( sorry by my english

Your English is fine, Yeradis -- and far better than my Spanish!

> and jean have a nice weekend ;-)

you, too!

 -jean

Re: Question?