Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de> on 2006/07/18 15:50:14 UTC

Re: Is James my new Friend? Can i do this with James? If theere is a helping hand and postz some examples or hints for me

Am Dienstag, den 18.07.2006, 15:26 +0200 schrieb Kris Wolff:
> Hi Norman,
>
> Thank for your reply. It helps a lot and i will use James as a core
> Service of our Portal.
> So - know my stupid questions - first i want to explain. James seams
> not easy for beginners of james. Well I coded since a lot of years and
> java exspecialy round about 4 years, but the code from a different
> person is something compleate differnet... So I uses to be have a jar
> and find some short instruuctions how to call/run and use it. James...
> hm its a hughe mountain and i don't know how long it will takes to
> climb up (hope that this is - near to - correkt english and will be
> understod)
>
> Well, I put everything from the src into my tree to orf.apache.... My
> first studid question is: how to startup? I found something in the docs
> about rewriting for tomcat use, but i can refind it.

Normaly you whould use "/path/to/james/bin/run.sh"  for starting james

> than: my second one is: for the beginning i want simply send out a
> mail. I will give the mailapi a try and not use local 25. Can I find a
> example anywhere how to send a "hello word" to my brothers eMail-
> Account at hotmail.com :-) ?

Maybe this is very usefull for you :

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-james2.html

> Thanx again,
> kris
>

> On 17 Jul 2006 at 16:45, Norman Maurer wrote:
>
> > Am Montag, den 17.07.2006, 15:19 +0200 schrieb Kris Wolff:
> > > Hi Folks,
> > >
> > > i have a simple question that will not be answerd in the docs.
> > > Maybe it’s just a lack of understandeing – please bring some
> > > light in my head.
> > >
> > > I have a WebApp with tones of tools in it. So there is a cms, a
> > > forum, a notice-board, and so on (all things you know). I want to
> > > implement a mailsystem for three reasons. *   I want to send mails
> > > to the Users *   Ok I could uns sendmail, postfix etc, not a
> > >     big Deal, would be faster - I suppos – to
> > >     implement than a complete new system.
> > > *   I want to create a Mail-List Archive for every
> > >     Forum. My Forums create automaticly on new
> > >     Topics. I want thet the user can also discuss via mail,
> > >     so I need a “way out†-> send new posts via mail,
> > >     (s.1) and a way in -> all mails on that maillist must
> > >     be stored back in my forum database.
> > You can do such things easly with a Mailet and Matcher..
> >
> > > *   I  want to offer your own mail-adress as User from
> > >     this WebApp (it’s a big portal here in germany) So I
> > >     have to use my Userdatabase, etc.
> > Also possible with james. You can fully costumize the select
> > statements etc for query the db. See:
> > http://james.apache.org/FAQ.html#7
> >

> > >  Can James be a possibility for me?
> > > Can I put james in my source-tree?
> > Sure you can its licensed under apache license 2 so its no problem for
> > commercial usage..
> >

> > > Can you give me examples how to plug James-Functions into
> > > my code (eg: sending single mail, looks if new mails are there,
> > > etc… or do I have to use 110/25 localy? No.. How can I use the
> > > apis in the write way. And at least again, where can I find some
> > > examples (if you have something working, its much more easier to
> > > start).
> >
> > You could use the MailetApi for sending emails etc.. But i whould be
> > easier to use 25/110 port localy..
> >

> > > Thanks a lot in advanced
> > > Kris
> >

> > bye
> > Norman
> >

> --
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
> Kris Wolff

bye
Norman

Posted by Kris Wolff <k....@department-x.de>.
On 18 Jul 2006 at 15:50, Norman Maurer wrote:

> > Well, I put everything from the src into my tree to orf.apache....
> > My first studid question is: how to startup? I found something in
> > the docs about rewriting for tomcat use, but i can refind it.
>
> Normaly you whould use "/path/to/james/bin/run.sh"  for starting james
Ok, but if i use James inside a Tomcat-Application i can not run a
shell file. I need to call something like James james = new James()
inside my init method of my servlet, right?

Thanx for your link,
i will read it and try out james tonight.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kris Wolff

-------
Department X GmbH - Agentur für crossmediale Kommunikation
E-Mail: k.wolff@department-x.de - http://www.department-x.de
Industriestraße 24 - D-61381 Friedrichsdorf
Fon: +49 (6172) 598-150   Fax: +49 (6172) 598-200