Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Peter Beardsley <pb...@appropriatesolutions.com> on 2004/11/24 15:38:56 UTC

exception handling under Apache::ASP

Hi,
This might be a more general mod_perl question, and if so let me know,
but I'm trying to add exception handling to my Apache::ASP code.
Basically I have a module that encapsulates all my data access, with all
the UI logic handled in ASP pages.  What I want to do is throw
exceptions in the data module, and catch them in the ASP pages.  I've
been using Error::Simple and throwing errors in the data module like so:

    throw Error::Simple( 'My Error');

the calling code in the ASP page looks like so:

    try {
      Data::DataRoutine();
    }
    catch Error::Simple with {
      my $E;
      $Response->Write($E);
    }

But the throw always triggers an Apache error and gets written to the
Apache log.  I've also tried the module Exception::Class with similar
results.

Can anybody with experience doing exception handling under Apache::ASP
tell me what works for them and point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
-Peter.

Re: exception handling under Apache::ASP

Posted by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Peter Beardsley wrote:
> Hi,
> This might be a more general mod_perl question, and if so let me know,
> but I'm trying to add exception handling to my Apache::ASP code.
> Basically I have a module that encapsulates all my data access, with all
> the UI logic handled in ASP pages.  What I want to do is throw
> exceptions in the data module, and catch them in the ASP pages.  I've
> been using Error::Simple and throwing errors in the data module like so:
>
>    throw Error::Simple( 'My Error');
>
> the calling code in the ASP page looks like so:
>
>    try {
>      Data::DataRoutine();
>    }
>    catch Error::Simple with {
>      my $E;
>      $Response->Write($E);
>    }
>
> But the throw always triggers an Apache error and gets written to the
> Apache log.  I've also tried the module Exception::Class with similar
> results.
>
> Can anybody with experience doing exception handling under Apache::ASP
> tell me what works for them and point me in the right direction?

Well, I'm pretty old fashioned in this regards, but I rely on die() for
my error throwing, and eval {} for my error catching, and just check
for whether $@ exists after the eval {} to see if there was an error.

BTW, sorry for not getting back for so long.  I am been swamped with
work recently.

Regards,

Josh