Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Andy McMurry <mc...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/28 03:24:38 UTC

roadmap for Apache cTakes "big data" processing

I'm writing to gauge community interest and intent for parallel processing with cTakes.

Apache UIMA is planning "Async Scaleout" as a replacement for CPM.
http://uima.apache.org/doc-uimaas-what.html

Apache Mahout is likely to become the defacto apache package for machine learning.
http://mahout.apache.org/

I believe cTakes will embrace both of these in due time.
Do you agree or do you have a different view?

Re: roadmap for Apache cTakes "big data" processing

Posted by Karthik Sarma <ks...@ksarma.com>.
AS compatibility is a good idea, but I suspect there will be a fair number
of problems to solve on the way. I do think it is certainly doable, though.

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

RE: roadmap for Apache cTakes "big data" processing

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
This could be a nice possible project for GSoC... If you have time to help mentor a student, feel free to create a Jira and tag it with gsoc2013.
--Pei

Posted by giri vara prasad nambari <gi...@gmail.com>.
It seems still it is tightly tied with Hadoop

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Quickstart

Posted by Andy McMurry <mc...@gmail.com>.
Good point Pei.

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 04/29/2013 01:43 AM, Andy McMurry wrote:
> I encourage committers to checkout Apache Mahout
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Algorithms
>
> Why Apache Mahout?
> 1. provides ML classifiers and functions not available through UIMA
> 2. parallel by design, transparently invokes Hadoop
> 3. Java and Apache license (every other known toolkit is GPL!)
> 4. likely to become standard ML package for Apache
>
> Why would we use mahout in cTakes?
> cTakes models are "provided", for example PoS tagging.
> Retraining these models on your own compute cluster would be difficult  (in my opinion).
> LibSVM is nice, but it is only one classification method.

The Mahout classifiers will probably soon be integrated into OpenNLP,
here is the jira issue.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENNLP-574

The idea is to make the ML part in OpenNLP plugable, so that all kind of
classification libraries can be supported.

Also interesting might be Mahouts Clustering and LDA capability, which
can probably be performed on the
entire document database.

Jörn

Re: roadmap for Apache cTakes "big data" processing

Posted by Andy McMurry <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Savova, Guergana" <Gu...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
+1
--guergana