Posted to user@ant.apache.org by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.com> on 2000/11/01 16:26:33 UTC

Re: javac task and classpath attribute

On 10/31/00 8:33 AM, "Stefan Bodewig" <bo...@bost.de> wrote:

> VD> What surprised me is that <property> CAN live outside a target,
> VD> since it is a task, and I thought all tasks need to be inside of
> VD> targets.
>
> There has been a short period of time back in April where they even
> were not allowed inside targets (i.e. they stopped being tasks).

Damn my work life for taking away my Ant bandwidth earlier this year! :)

I'd like to see properties go strictly to being defined at the project
level. What was the compelling argument for going back to letting go
everywhere? A message pointer would be fine.

--
James Duncan Davidson                                        duncan@x180.com
                                                                  !try; do()

Re: javac task and classpath attribute

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.

 JDD> On 10/31/00 8:33 AM, "Stefan Bodewig" <bo...@bost.de> wrote:
 >>  There has been a short period of time back in April where they
 >> even were not allowed inside targets (i.e. they stopped being
 >> tasks).

 JDD> What was the compelling argument for going back to letting go
 JDD> everywhere? A message pointer would be fine.

Seems like memory got it backwards, sorry.

I remembered Sam changed something around that time. Going back CVS
logs, I see it was that he allowed properties to be placed _outside_
of targets again (patch to ProjectHelper revision 1.9 -> 1.10 from
2000-04-01).

So my previous claim was false and the correct way to put it would be:

"There has been a short period of time back in April where they were
not allowed outside targets, but apart from that they could always
live as direct children of project."

Stefan