Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Faheem Mitha <fa...@email.unc.edu> on 2003/05/12 19:35:06 UTC

problem with svnshell

I'm running subversion 0.21 backported to Debian Woody (by Colin
Watson).

I get the following error message when trying to run svnshell. I just
want to check whether this is a real problem or I am doing something
wrong. If it is a real problem I'll file it as a Debian bug report.

Subversion itself has been behaving just fine.

                                                          Faheem.

faheem /usr/local/src/subversion>svnshell /home/faheem/svn
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/svnshell", line 24, in ?
    from svn import fs, util, repos
  File

"/home/cjwatson/src/apt-src/subversion-0.21.0/debian
/tmp/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/svn/fs.py",
line 24, in ?

ImportError: /usr/lib/libswigpy-1.3.so: undefined symbol: PyType_IsSubtype

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux Chrestomanci 2.4.17 #1 Mon Jun 24 18:03:29 EDT 2002 i686
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C

Versions of packages subversion depends on:
ii  db4.1-util              4.1.25-4         Berkeley v4.1 Database Utilities
ii  libapr0                 2.0.45-2.woody.2 The Apache Portable Runtime
ii  libc6                   2.3.1-16         GNU C Library: Shared libraries an
ii  libdb4.1                4.1.25-4         Berkeley v4.1 Database Libraries [
ii  libexpat1               1.95.6-4         XML parsing C library - runtime li
ii  libgdbmg1               1.7.3-27.1       GNU dbm database routines (runtime
ii  libldap2                2.0.27-4         OpenLDAP libraries (without TLS su
ii  libneon23               0.23.8-1         An HTTP and WebDAV client library
ii  libsasl7                1.5.27-3.5       Authentication abstraction library
ii  libssl0.9.6             0.9.6j-1         SSL shared libraries (old version)
ii  libsvn0                 0.21.0-0.woody.1 Subversion shared libraries - in d
ii  libxml2                 2.5.6-2          GNOME XML library
ii  patch                   2.5.4-11         Apply a diff file to an original
ii  zlib1g                  1:1.1.4-11       compression library - runtime

-- no debconf information

Re: problem with svnshell

Posted by Faheem Mitha <fa...@email.unc.edu>.
On Tue, 13 May 2003 00:14:52 +0100, Colin Watson <cj...@debian.org> wrote:

> That's testing or unstable, not woody. I've never tried my package
> builds there ... perhaps Python has changed?

Yes, I'm tracking sarge. I guess that if I run packages backported
from unstable to Woody on sarge I should expect to run into problems
occasionally. :-) I seem to be able to do an upgrade to the subversion
22.1 in unstable (apt-get -t unstable ...). Maybe I am just better off
tracking unstable in this case?

                                                         Faheem.

Re: problem with svnshell

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 07:15:47PM +0000, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> everything to 0.22.2, svnshell now works. Nifty tool. It doesn't have
> command recall or readline type editing facilities, though. Hmm,
> wonder how hard it would be to add these. I don't know anything about
> python.

An enterprising hacker could add this reasonably easy by using Python's
'readline' module:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-readline.html

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: problem with svnshell

Posted by Faheem Mitha <fa...@email.unc.edu>.
On 13 May 2003 20:01:01 +0200, Michael Süß <mi...@suessnetz.de> wrote:

> I got bitten by the same error just yesterday, after I upgraded to the
> package provided by cjwatson it worked
> (libswig1.3_1.3.17-0.woody.1_i386.deb that is) for me. However, thats
> what you had installed in the first place, isn't it?

Correct.

> And you were using the corresponding
> python2.1-subversion_0.21.0-0.woody.1_i386.deb and
> swig1.3_1.3.17-0.woody.1_i386.deb from his site as well (sorry, did
> not read all of your original mail)?

Correct.

These packages were not intended for use on sarge (I don't think). so
errors were not totally unexpected. Since python 2.2 finally arrived
in testing, I've decided I'm better off tracking the unstable versions
of subversion and associated packages for the present. After upgrading
everything to 0.22.2, svnshell now works. Nifty tool. It doesn't have
command recall or readline type editing facilities, though. Hmm,
wonder how hard it would be to add these. I don't know anything about
python.

Thanks for your help.
                                                       Faheem.

Re: problem with svnshell

Posted by Michael Süß <mi...@suessnetz.de>.
Am Die, 2003-05-13 um 19.24 schrieb Faheem Mitha:
> On Mon, 12 May 2003 17:22:31 -0700, Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> wrote:

> >> Weird; I can't reproduce it on either the official 0.21 packages from
> >> unstable or on my build (admittedly on the machine that built it).
> >>
> >> I also can't find PyType_IsSubtype anywhere in the built source tree.
> >
> > I think that I've seen this before. If I recall correctly, it is due to a
> > mismatch between the SWIG runtime library and the version of Python that is
> > being used. For example, the runtime might have been built for Python 1.5,
> > but you've built the wrapper module for Python 2.x and are running the whole
> > mess under a 2.x interpreter.
> >
> > The answer is to check your SWIG configuration to ensure that the runtime
> > library is built for the same version of Python that you intend to use with
> > the wrapper extension modules.

> >> That's testing or unstable, not woody. I've never tried my package
> >> builds there ... perhaps Python has changed?
> >
> > Check the swig packages, too. Debian might have to add dependencies between
> > the SWIG package and specific versions of Python. Possibly different SWIG
> > runtimes based on which Python needs to use it.
> >
> > Of course, I could be misremembering the PyType_IsSubType problem. But take
> > a look and see what you find...
>
> I tried downgrading to the version of libswig1.3 in Debian
> Stable. This is 1.3.11-1, and from the changelogs, is against Python
> 2.1. The version I previously had installed was 1.3.17-0.woody.1. I'm
> not sure what Python version this was against but presumably nothing
> earlier than 2.1. However, I now get a different error.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/svnshell", line 347, in ?
>     main()
>   File "/usr/bin/svnshell", line 344, in main
>     util.run_app(SVNShell, sys.argv[1])
>   File
> "/home/cjwatson/src/apt-src/subversion-0.21.0/debian
> 	/tmp/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/svn/util.py",
> line 40, in
> run_app
> TypeError: Type error. Expected _p_apr_pool_t
>
> I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from any of this. Any opinion if
> any of this should be reported as a bug or not, and if so to who? It
> does seem that the Debian dependencies on swig should be tightened if
> it depends so crucially on the particular version of a program.
>
>                                                        Faheem.

I got bitten by the same error just yesterday, after I upgraded to the
package provided by cjwatson it worked
(libswig1.3_1.3.17-0.woody.1_i386.deb that is) for me. However, thats
what you had installed in the first place, isn't it? And you were using
the corresponding python2.1-subversion_0.21.0-0.woody.1_i386.deb and
swig1.3_1.3.17-0.woody.1_i386.deb from his site as well (sorry, did not
read all of your original mail)?

Michael
--
"What we do in life, echos in eternity..."

Michael Süß
GPG-Key: http://www.suessnetz.de/michael/michaelsuess.gpg

Re: problem with svnshell

Posted by Faheem Mitha <fa...@email.unc.edu>.

Re: problem with svnshell

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Re: problem with svnshell

Posted by Colin Watson <cj...@debian.org>.
On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 07:35:06PM +0000, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> I'm running subversion 0.21 backported to Debian Woody (by Colin
> Watson).
>
> I get the following error message when trying to run svnshell. I just
> want to check whether this is a real problem or I am doing something
> wrong.

Weird; I can't reproduce it on either the official 0.21 packages from
unstable or on my build (admittedly on the machine that built it).

I also can't find PyType_IsSubtype anywhere in the built source tree.

> If it is a real problem I'll file it as a Debian bug report.

If it turns out to be a problem with the way I've built it then you
might be better not to bother David (the maintainer), although if it's
reproducible on unstable then sure. I guess that's up to him.

> "/home/cjwatson/src/apt-src/subversion-0.21.0/debian
> /tmp/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/svn/fs.py",

Is that supposed to happen?