Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Pushkar Deole <pd...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/19 06:16:02 UTC

Stream stopped running due to TimeoutException: Timeout expired after 60000milliseconds while awaiting InitProducerId

Hi All,

Recently we moved kafka to azure lab and we are seeing these exceptions
quite often. Strangely only some of the stream apps get this error and stop
working, while other stream app run fine.
Came across this issue on kafka issues list
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-8803 and the problem we are
facing matches to great extent along with all symptoms we are experiencing.

Sophie, one of the comments says that you are leading investigation here,
so do you have any suggestions?

We are using kafka broker 2.5.0
kafka client and streams are 2.5.1

Re: Stream stopped running due to TimeoutException: Timeout expired after 60000milliseconds while awaiting InitProducerId

Posted by Sophie Blee-Goldman <so...@confluent.io>.
Hey Pushkar,

If I remember correctly there were a number of broker-side bugs that were
uncovered over the course of this ticket, any of which could result in the
exception you've seen. I'm *pretty* sure that they should all be fixed in
2.5.0,
but it's possible that some of the fixes only made it into 2.5.1. I'd
recommend
upgrading to 2.5.1 when you can (even if it doesn't fix this
particular issue,
it's always a good idea to upgrade to the bugfix version when it's released)

There's also this one other client-side bug that I'm aware of, which could
result in the TimeoutException you saw. It should only affect applications
with just
a single broker in the bootstrap servers list (and
max.in.flight.connections set
to 1). If that applies to you, you can work around the issue for now by
adding
another broker to the bootstrap list. The fix is on track to make it into
the
upcoming 2.7 release. See KAFKA-10520
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-10520>