Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2008/04/18 15:07:48 UTC

uima-as update: [VOTE] to accept the donation of uima-as on uima-dev thread has all committers voting +1

This note is for our Mentors, and copied to the uima-dev list also.

Background: A donation of some code to extend the capability of Apache
UIMA to scale out using asynchronous messaging, known initially as
"UIMA-EE" but now renamed "UIMA-AS" was submitted under a software
grant.  We have filled out the IP-Clearance template, and are now
awaiting "verification/signoff" by a ASF member (Ken has agreed to do
this, soon, if not already.)

Part of the IP-Clearance form, the last section at the bottom, says:

    Organizational acceptance of responsibility for the project
        Related VOTEs:

We have a [VOTE] on this in the uima-dev list which has passed with all
6 committers voting +1.  We'll offically close the vote after the 72
hour period has passed.

However, it's only "advisory", because non of the UIMA Committers
(except, of course, you and Sam, who are not "active" committers), is a
member of the Incubator PMC.

Should we now post something to the Incubator general list, asking for
another vote by incubator PMC members, so we have a "binding" vote?

Thanks.

-Marshall Schor

Re: uima-as update: [VOTE] to accept the donation of uima-as on uima-dev thread has all committers voting +1

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>>
>> In looking at this, I noticed that this vote was done *after* the
>> ip-clearance form was committed to SVN at the official place.  I'm
>> not sure what the reviewers look at, but my guess is that they focus
>> on the ip-clearance form, and (possibly) on the (initial) contribution.
>>
>> My common sense says to see if we can get the ip-clearance form
>> committed by Ken to the official place after he updates it with his
>> review (e.g. verifying everyone has a CLA, etc.).
>
> I meant the source code.  I think you're supposed to complete the
> IP clearance process before you start working on the contribution
> in svn.  But I'm not sure.
The ip-clearance form says you have to get an acknowledgment of the
software-grant by the ASF Secretary before proceeding.
We did that - we held up putting the source into SVN for quite a while
because of a delay in getting this acknowledgment.  The vote (talked
about at the bottom of this form) says it can happen either before or
after IP clearance.

There is also a statement that the code snapshot coming in "should not
last long in place before it is moved to the successful incubation
area."  I think this implies that it should not be moved into SVN until
the IP is cleared, but there's also a place in the IP form which says
things like "check to be sure the files have been updated to reflect the
new ASF copyright" - which is work to be done in the incubator.  So it's
a bit ambiguous - except for the clear requirement that the software
grant be acknowledged.

-Marshall

-Marshall

Re: uima-as update: [VOTE] to accept the donation of uima-as on uima-dev thread has all committers voting +1

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Marshall Schor wrote:

> In looking at this, I noticed that this vote was done *after* the
> ip-clearance form was committed to SVN at the official place.  I'm not
> sure what the reviewers look at, but my guess is that they focus on the
> ip-clearance form, and (possibly) on the (initial) contribution.
>
> My common sense says to see if we can get the ip-clearance form
> committed by Ken to the official place after he updates it with his
> review (e.g. verifying everyone has a CLA, etc.).

I meant the source code.  I think you're supposed to complete the
IP clearance process before you start working on the contribution
in svn.  But I'm not sure.

--Thilo

Re: uima-as update: [VOTE] to accept the donation of uima-as on uima-dev thread has all committers voting +1

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>> This note is for our Mentors, and copied to the uima-dev list also.
>>
>> Background: A donation of some code to extend the capability of
>> Apache UIMA to scale out using asynchronous messaging, known
>> initially as "UIMA-EE" but now renamed "UIMA-AS" was submitted under
>> a software grant.  We have filled out the IP-Clearance template, and
>> are now awaiting "verification/signoff" by a ASF member (Ken has
>> agreed to do this, soon, if not already.)
>> Part of the IP-Clearance form, the last section at the bottom, says:
>>
>>    Organizational acceptance of responsibility for the project
>>        Related VOTEs:
>>
>> We have a [VOTE] on this in the uima-dev list which has passed with
>> all 6 committers voting +1.  We'll offically close the vote after the
>> 72 hour period has passed.
>> However, it's only "advisory", because non of the UIMA Committers
>> (except, of course, you and Sam, who are not "active" committers), is
>> a member of the Incubator PMC.
>>
>> Should we now post something to the Incubator general list, asking
>> for another vote by incubator PMC members, so we have a "binding" vote?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -Marshall Schor
>
> Yes, do something like this:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg15525.html
>
> It's a lazy consensus vote, which is a good thing :-)
>
> I think we're supposed to have that vote before we actually put
> things in svn.
Thanks Thilo - that's very helpful.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.