Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Joseph Bridgewater <Jo...@austintx.net> on 1998/12/24 18:57:32 UTC

Re: FW: general/3563: I want to allow the definition and use of macros within runtime configuration files.

At 10:37 PM 12/22/98 +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
>Joseph Bridgewater wrote:
>> It isn't always possible to invoke an external program prior to running
>> Apache such as in the case of starting Apache as an NT service.  Perhaps
>> Apache could simply be modified to optionally run (an) external command(s)
>> just prior to loading the config file(s)?
>
>Sure - why fix one operating system when you can fix 1000 apps instead?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ben.

So you're saying that you plan to fix the OS?   Which 1000 apps are you
referring to?  Are you saying anything constructive here at all, or are you
simply trying to be argumentative?

Re: FW: general/3563: I want to allow the definition and use of macros within runtime configuration files.

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Joseph Bridgewater wrote:

> At 10:37 PM 12/22/98 +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> >Joseph Bridgewater wrote:
> >> It isn't always possible to invoke an external program prior to running
> >> Apache such as in the case of starting Apache as an NT service.  Perhaps
> >> Apache could simply be modified to optionally run (an) external command(s)
> >> just prior to loading the config file(s)?
> >
> >Sure - why fix one operating system when you can fix 1000 apps instead?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Ben.
>
> So you're saying that you plan to fix the OS?   Which 1000 apps are you
> referring to?  Are you saying anything constructive here at all, or are you
> simply trying to be argumentative?

What I'm saying (crypticly) is that this strikes me as something generic
which would be better implemented outside Apache. It seems to me that
the natural place is in the OS.

What was in my mind was that under Unix the equivalent is the rc*.d
stuff, which can trivially run "external commands" before reading the
config file.

Cheers,

Ben.