Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/20 09:34:37 UTC

cartridge reusability

When we create a cartridge, we provide it with the puppet master IP address.

Does the cartridge periodically sync with the puppet master to
retrieve updated definitions?  Or, does it just sync up at cartidge
creation time?

After a cartridge has been created, is it possible to point the
cartridge to a different puppet master?  If not, cartridges are tied
to the puppet master they were originally configured with and aren't
reusable.

Should we think about providing the puppet master hostname and ip (and
maybe even the service type) as user data information, thus making our
cartridges reusable?

Many thanks,

Chris

Re: cartridge reusability

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dinesh,
Yes, understood, after cartridge initialization happened through puppet
master, puppet master related(and some other)  information are erased and a
re-usable image is created. Then cartridges created through this image in
another environment(with new puppet master), get puppet master information
from payload and can get updates and patches through this new puppet master.

Thanks,
Damitha

Re: cartridge reusability

Posted by Dinesh Bandara <di...@wso2.com>.
Hi Damitha,

Re: cartridge reusability

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dinesh,

Re: cartridge reusability

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Perfect.  Thanks Dinesh!

Re: cartridge reusability

Posted by Akila Ravihansa Perera <ra...@wso2.com>.
Hi all,
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Stratos sending the Puppet master IP in the
payload to the spawned instance?
As I understood, spawned instance when executing init.sh script (at boot
time) use this Puppet master IP in the payload to initialize the cartridge.

In effect, if we change this Puppet master IP in cloud controller
configuration , we are changing the Puppet master for the spawned
insurance.

Thanks.

Re: cartridge reusability

Posted by Dinesh Bandara <di...@wso2.com>.
Hi Chris,

Re: cartridge reusability

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 11:50 PM, chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Isuru,  I'm just wondering whether we could bypass the step of
> users having to create their own cartridges and instead allowing a
> market place  where users can download a pre-made cartridge which the
> user would just need to configure to point to their own puppet master?

+1, yes we should build cartridge store. will target this with next release.

Re: cartridge reusability

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

I think we're not bound to the puppet master hostname/IP which got created
at the time of initialization. see
https://github.com/apache/incubator-stratos/blob/master/tools/puppet3-agent/init.shwe're
taking them from the payload.

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.
Senior Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.

Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

Re: cartridge reusability

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69

Re: cartridge reusability

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@wso2.com>.
Hi Chris,

--
Thanks and Regards,

Isuru H.
+94 716 358 048* <http://wso2.com/>*

Re: cartridge reusability

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@gmail.com>.
I think cartridge re-usability has another aspect, an internal meaning.
Suppose a tenant subscribe for a PHP cartridge and then a cartridge
instance is spawned for him. I think it should be possible to pool this
cartridge instance after a timeout threshold and re-used when another PHP
cartridge instance requested, possibly by another tenant. I am not sure how
this requirement would match with current Stratos architecture.

Implementation of such pools depend on underlying IaaS. For example in
Openstack we need to use suspend/resume functionality(which is not possible
with Docker or lxc currently, but possible with xen, qemu, kvm)

Damitha

Damitha Kumarage
http://people.apache.org/

Re: cartridge reusability