Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dianne Chen <di...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/07 15:31:34 UTC

Re: was Graphical Representation of trees / now merge tracking

--- Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> wrote:

<snip>

> SVN does no merge tracking at all right now, though
> it's on our feature roadmap.
>
> In other words, when you run 'svn merge', then 'svn
> commit' the changes that resulted, the repository
> has no idea where the changes came from... certainly
> not from a merge operation.  For all it knows, you
> could have typed the changes by hand.  Read about
> this stuff in chapter 4 of the svn book.

Ben, thanks for adding this comment to to your email
reply. Although I read Ch4, including the paragraph
under "Tracking Merges Manually" it did not sink in
that Subversion can not tell *where* merges came from.
That is certainly a big point I missed. D'oh.

[Thrown out to the group at large]
So, do all svn users follow the book convention of
using a comment to indicate that a "merge occurred
with these source/destination revisions" ? Are there
any other techniques for tracking this that other
developers/Conf Mgrs use?

Thanks!