Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Kris Bravo <br...@us.net> on 2001/05/05 20:32:29 UTC

output from tasks isn't always available as output="xxx". Alternatives?

I have not been able to find this one in the archives, so here is my
question.

I would like to specify output files for each task individually. I can see
where a few tasks have an output field that can cause this to happen (e.g.,
exec, java, etc.); however, javac, jar and a few other critical ones don't.
Am I missing something? It there a good way to do this?

My guess is that the way to accomplish this for any task is to parse the
output of ant (or the XmlLogger) according to the brackets (tags) to get the
messages broken down. True?

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Kris

Re: Using Ant with IBM Java 1.3

Posted by David Goodenough <da...@btconnect.com>.
David Goodenough wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have read my way through the archives, and noticed that many
> questions have been raised about using Ant with IBM's Java
> 1.3.  I have looked at the CLASSPATH etc and I am sure that
> Ant should be finding the right tools.jar and that inside this
> jar is the right class com.sun.tools.javac.Main, but still it does
> not work.  I am running under Linux by the way.
>
> Now I so have many Java JVMs installed on my machine, but
> none of them are actually in the regular paths, and there is
> no exported CLASSPATH there by default.
>
> I set JAVA_HOME to point to the root of the JDK:-
>
> /opt/IBMJava2-13
>
> and boostrap.sh correctly finds tools.jar in lib.
>
> When I run bootstrap to try to compile Ant (from CVS) it
> goes through the compile of the basic Ant classes, but then
> when it runs the generated Ant with build.xml it complains
> that it can not use modern as it can not find it and so it
> trys to use classic and fails on that too.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Tnanks in advance
>
> David

Well I have done some more experiments, and what I have found
is that Ant works IFF tools.jar is copied into the jre lib/ext
directory.
This suggests that either the security policies are different or the
AntClassLoader is somehow interacting oddly with the compiler
class.  Anyone got any ideas?

Using Ant with IBM Java 1.3

RE: output from tasks isn't always available as output="xxx". Alternatives?

Posted by Kris Bravo <br...@us.net>.
Thank you Diane!

See the new <record> task. The doc for it is at:
http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/jakarta-ant/docs/manual/CoreTasks
/recorder.html

You can get the source for it from CVS (or pick up a nightly build).

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Re: output from tasks isn't always available as output="xxx". Alternatives?

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)

http://auctions.yahoo.com/