Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by MIS <mi...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/30 08:02:47 UTC

Hive in EC2

Hi,

Can somebody point me to production level setup of Hive in EC2. The intent
is to know the setup best practices being employed.

Thanks.

Re: Hive in EC2

Posted by MIS <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply. That cleared few concerns.

Thanks,
MIS.

Re: Hive in EC2

Posted by MIS <mi...@gmail.com>.

RE: Hive in EC2

Posted by Steven Wong <sw...@netflix.com>.

RE: Hive in EC2

Posted by Steven Wong <sw...@netflix.com>.

Re: Hive in EC2

Posted by jiang licht <li...@yahoo.com>.
ask about it @ amazon forum?

Michael

________________________________

Re: Hive in EC2

Posted by MIS <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hive in EC2

Posted by MIS <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hive in EC2

Posted by Guy Bayes <fa...@gmail.com>.
to me it's pretty much a show stopper to not be on a recent version of Hive,
0.7 at least

I like having things like views, multi column count distincts and a HAVING
clause .

YMMV of course

it's not at all hard to install hive on ec2 after using whirr to set the
cluster up

setting up the mysql metastore can be more painful though

https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/CDHDOC/Hive+Installation

I think if you are considering best practices one of the most important
decisions you need to make is how aggressively you are going to upgrade.

Guy

Re: Hive in EC2

Posted by jiang licht <li...@yahoo.com>.
That's true. If its not acceptable, then one can replace hive in emr cluster w/ latest version and then reuse it or build image from latest hadoop and hive ...

Michael

________________________________
The only caveat is that you are at Amazon's mercy in terms of the latest version of Hive. Also, they have their own versioning so EMR Hive's latest version 0.7.1 could be Apache Hive's 0.6.5 - I am not even sure. Basically, don't expect the latest Hive features to be available.

igor
decide.com

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 6:25 PM, jiang licht <li...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Recommend Amazon ElasticMapReduce. Otherwise, it costs you time to prepare and set up hadoop and hive package for running on ec2. EMR does heavyweight lifting work for you and still allow you option to customize your hadoop and hive by pointing to their property files in xml (e.g. in S3). EMR also allows your hive job to run in batch mode (through emr client command tools or amazon consoler) or in interactive mode for test/debug purpose. Another benefit of using EMR/hive is that its hive has enhanced features otherwise not available, s.a., passing parameters from command line, loading partitions automatically from S3 instead of loading them individually, etc. Here's a link to emr faq and you may take a look at the answer to "Are there new features in Hive specific to Amazon Elastic MapReduce?"

>http://aws.amazon.com/elasticmapreduce/faqs/
>

>Michael
>

>________________________________

 11:03 PM

RE: Hive in EC2

Posted by Steven Wong <sw...@netflix.com>.
EMR Hive and Apache Hive are versioned the same.

decide.com<http://decide.com>

Re: Hive in EC2

Posted by Igor Tatarinov <ig...@decide.com>.

Re: Hive in EC2

RE: Hive in EC2

RE: Hive in EC2

Posted by Miguel Cabero <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I set up my clusters on EC2 via with Cloudera Whirr.
My hadoop.properties file is like :

whirr.hardware-id=m1.xlarge
# Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid. See http://alestic.com/
whirr.image-id=eu-west-1/ami-1e34016a
whirr.location-id=eu-west-1
whirr.service-name=hadoop
whirr.cluster-name=myhadoopcluster
whirr.instance-templates=1 jt+nn,5 dn+tt
whirr.provider=ec2
whirr.identity=SECRET
whirr.credential=SECRET
whirr.private-key-file=${sys:user.home}/.ssh/id_rsa
whirr.public-key-file=${sys:user.home}/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
whirr.hadoop-install-runurl=cloudera/cdh/install
whirr.hadoop-configure-runurl=cloudera/cdh/post-configure

Cloudera default settings are currently fine for me.
I recommend using MySql as metastore instead of Derby.
I use Amazon RDS for its simplicity.

Regards,

Lemig