Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Vladi Feigin <vl...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/21 22:50:44 UTC

spout getting stuck..

H All,

We're experiencing very strange topology behavior when after a few days,
sometimes hours (looks like during a peak load) the spouts get stuck.
The data stops streaming and we lose a lot of data.
We read the data from kafka (use kafka spout). Storm version 0.8.2
Does someone have something similar? What can be a problem?

Appreciate any help you can provide!
Thank you in advance
Vladi

Re: spout getting stuck..

Posted by Manoj Jaiswal <ma...@gmail.com>.
Vladi,

check the limit on open files in Kafka and supervisor servers.
also check if there is any IO overhead.

The processing may completely stop if there are too many files waiting to
be written.

run the top command

-Manoj

Re: spout getting stuck..

Posted by saiprasad mishra <sa...@gmail.com>.
Wondering if there is a message size issue which is blocking it to transfer
the data either from kafka to spout or any of the below params from spout
to bolts

        config.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_RECEIVER_BUFFER_SIZE,32);

        config.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_TRANSFER_BUFFER_SIZE,64);

        config.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_EXECUTOR_RECEIVE_BUFFER_SIZE,16384);

        config.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_EXECUTOR_SEND_BUFFER_SIZE,16384);

I have seen this in my dev environment and I could do some hack to clear it
up which is not applicable in production
May be some one who is running this for a while in prod can help

Regards
Sai

Re: spout getting stuck..

Posted by Vladi Feigin <vl...@gmail.com>.

Re: spout getting stuck..

Posted by saiprasad mishra <sa...@gmail.com>.
Just some more info

This was evident from complete latency metric in storm ui which was showing
0 for me
I am on storm 0.9.2 incubating

Regards
Sai