Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Dennis Newbold <de...@pe.net> on 2004/06/22 00:56:12 UTC

Problem Building Subversion 1.0.4 from sources on FreeBSD (fwd)

Dear Developers,

     I originally sent the email below to users@subversion.tigris.org on
6/5/2004.  As of today (6/21/2004), no one has responded to me privately,
and it has not appeared in the mailing list archives.  Therefore, I am
sending it to your list in the hope that your list admin will be a little
more polite or effective.  Also, there is some justification in doing so
because:

  1. I have since discovered that ltconfig is a shell script which is no
     longer used or needed by current versions of libtool.  The fact that
     a call to it occurs in your ./configure script indicates that the
     script is broken or out of date and needs to be updated.  This, I
     think, would best be done by a developer.

  2. an open source project which cannot be built "out of the box" from
     sources but instead requires special knowledge / insight into how
     everything fits -- well, it doesn't seem to be all that "open".
     I would thus suggest that the build process itself needs to be made
     cleaner and simpler, and this effort (at least in the current state
     of things) is probably best done by a developer.

I apologize if the above seems abrupt or rude.  I am just very frustrated
as I would very much like to begin using svn for various personal efforts.
I finally found a FreeBSD-based hosting service that is open to allowing
me to use svn, but it currently is not available on their system, and
when I tried building it myself, I ran into the roadblock described below.

I really like svn.  I consider it to be a significant improvement over
cvs, and would like to see everyone at my company using it, but currently
I have nothing to show anyone to demonstrate its superiority.  So, in
summary, I don't mean to be rude, but I am rather frustrated at this time.
Thank you.

Dennis Newbold

|     The way to be happy is to be good     |

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 10:53, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Dennis Newbold <de...@pe.net> writes:
> >      I originally sent the email below to users@subversion.tigris.org on
> > 6/5/2004.  As of today (6/21/2004), no one has responded to me privately,
> > and it has not appeared in the mailing list archives.  Therefore, I am
> > sending it to your list in the hope that your list admin will be a little
> > more polite or effective.
>
> There's nothing not "polite" about a failure to respond; it may just
> mean no one felt they had anything helpful to say.

I believe he's complaining that his message never made it to the users
list.

(I read the complaint; something clearly went very wrong at some point
in the process such that a libtool script was being invoked with the
wrong options, but I couldn't determine what.)

Re: Problem Building Subversion 1.0.4 from sources on FreeBSD (fwd)

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Dennis Newbold <de...@pe.net> writes:
>      I did as you suggested, and everything built fine, without a hitch.
> You are correct.  I think the thing that confused me was that at the top
> of the INSTALL file it says: "So long as you don't plan to build a new
> client from the latest source or to build a Subversion server, you can go
> directly to section II.A"  Since I needed to build an svnserve server,
> I kept reading and got lost in all the instructions for people who want
> to build from the latest sources from the svn repository.  Anyway ...
> I should have responded to you sooner, but got tied up in trying to get
> svnserve to work.  Major problem turned out to be that the hosting
> service had port 3690 (or 3609, or whatever it is that svnserve uses)
> blocked.  So, things are looking a bit more cheery now.  Thanks for your
> excellent advice (and also for the useful info about pastebin.org.
> I'm going to keep that in my back pocket).

Glad to hear things are working now.

If you'd like to send in a patch to make the INSTALL file clearer,
that would be great!  If something confused you, it might confuse
other users too...

-Karl

Re: Problem Building Subversion 1.0.4 from sources on FreeBSD (fwd)

Posted by Dennis Newbold <de...@pe.net>.
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> > #$!!
> > I ran it because I first read the "INSTALL" file to see if there were any
> > special instructions apart from the standard "./configure ; make ; su ;
> > make install" steps.  In that document, section II.B "Building the Latest
> > Source Under Unix", at about the 4th paragraph it says "Start the process
> > by running autogen.sh", so I did.
>
> If you read that section carefully, instead of skimming, you'll see
> it's talking about a *checkout* of the latest sources from the
> repository:
>
>      A.  Building from a Tarball or RPM
>          ------------------------------
>
>          1.  Building from a Tarball
>
>          Download the most recent distribution tarball from:
>
>              http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList
>
>          Unpack it, and use the standard GNU procedure to compile:
>
>              $ ./configure
>              $ make
>              # make install
>
> Thanks for the new log attachments.  Since we don't know what the
> result would be of following the standard install procedure, please
> try that first.  If it still doesn't work, post to
> users@subversion.tigris.org, attaching the logs, and we'll figure out
> what went wrong.

Hi Karl,

[...]

Dennis

Re: Problem Building Subversion 1.0.4 from sources on FreeBSD (fwd)

Posted by Dennis Newbold <de...@pe.net>.
Hi Bruce,

     I very much appreciate your kind offer, but it appears that, by
following Kurt Fogel's suggestion, I've been able to build svn from the
sources.  I had some difficulties communicating with the server at first,
but it turned out that the hosting service I am using had port 3690
(or 09, whatever svnserve listens on) blocked.  I asked them to open it
for me, at least on my static IP address, and things seem to be OK now.
I may not stay with them much longer, as checkouts are taking a L-O-O-N-G
time.  Probably their servers are overloaded, or their pipe to the
internet is small & congested.  However, I appreciate the offer.  If
you don't mind, I think I'll keep your email address around in case I
ever run into any FreeBSD related problems.  Take care, and have a nice
weekend.

Dennis

Posted by "Bruce A. Mah" <bm...@acm.org>.
> [...]

> FreeBSD server.  When I objected (and after they had taken my money) they
> said they had no more Linux servers available, but that FreeBSD was
> "functionally equivalent".  Which, in large part, may be true, but it
> means that I cannot install from a subversion rpm file, since rpm's don't
> work on FreeBSD.

Yick.  Sorry you're doing business with them :-(.

> #$!!
> I ran it because I first read the "INSTALL" file to see if there were any
> special instructions apart from the standard "./configure ; make ; su ;
> make install" steps.  In that document, section II.B "Building the Latest
> Source Under Unix", at about the 4th paragraph it says "Start the process
> by running autogen.sh", so I did.

If you read that section carefully, instead of skimming, you'll see
it's talking about a *checkout* of the latest sources from the

      These instructions assume you have already installed Subversion
      and checked out a working copy of Subversion's own code --
      either the latest /trunk code, or some branch or tag.

      You can discard the directory created by the tarball; you're
      about to build the latest, greatest Subversion client.  This is
      the procedure Subversion developers use.

But you are building from a tarball, a procedure which is documented
earlier in INSTALL:

     A.  Building from a Tarball or RPM
         ------------------------------

         1.  Building from a Tarball

         Download the most recent distribution tarball from:

             http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList

         Unpack it, and use the standard GNU procedure to compile:

             $ ./configure
             $ make
             # make install

Thanks for the new log attachments.  Since we don't know what the
result would be of following the standard install procedure, please
try that first.  If it still doesn't work, post to
users@subversion.tigris.org, attaching the logs, and we'll figure out
what went wrong.

(Or you can show up in irc.freenode.net, channel #svn.  Sometimes that
can get you faster help.  But don't paste in huge outputs there,
instead use www.pastebin.org, and then refer people in #svn to the
appropriate pastebin URL.  I know about this because I spammed channel
#mysql with some output once, and they told me to use the beautiful
beast that is pastebin.org :-) ).

Good luck,
-Karl

Re: Problem Building Subversion 1.0.4 from sources on FreeBSD (fwd)

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Dennis Newbold <de...@pe.net> writes:
>      I originally sent the email below to users@subversion.tigris.org on
> 6/5/2004.  As of today (6/21/2004), no one has responded to me privately,
> and it has not appeared in the mailing list archives.  Therefore, I am
> sending it to your list in the hope that your list admin will be a little
> more polite or effective.

There's nothing not "polite" about a failure to respond; it may just
mean no one felt they had anything helpful to say.  (If you'd like the
names of some people who can provide *paid* tech support, ask me
privately :-) .)

>   2. an open source project which cannot be built "out of the box" from
>      sources but instead requires special knowledge / insight into how
>      everything fits -- well, it doesn't seem to be all that "open".
>      I would thus suggest that the build process itself needs to be made
>      cleaner and simpler, and this effort (at least in the current state
>      of things) is probably best done by a developer.

One person having trouble does not mean the project's build system is
broken.  It could mean that that one person did something wrong (see
below), or that some other exceptional circumstance applies.

I'm not saying Subversion is perfect, but please don't make
generalizations about it based on how frustrated you happen to feel
right now.  Many non-developers have successfully installed it.

Now, about your problem:

>      For various reasons, I am attempting to build subversion 1.0.4
> from the sources.  I'm on a FreeBSD system.  Output from config.guess
> is:  i386-unknown-freebsd4.8
>
> I first ran:  sh autogen.sh, and got a few warning messages, but no show-
> soppers, AFAIK.  Output is in run_autogen.sh.log

Hmm, why did you run 'autogen.sh'?

If you simply downloaded the Subversion source tarball (as implied by
"1.0.4"), then you should just run ./configure, without running
autogen.sh first.  This is the standard free software procedure, and
it is what our installation documentation says to do, I believe.

> Next, I ran ./configure, which terminated early with an error message.
> The output is in run_configure.log.

Did you pass any arguments to configure?  Can you reattach the output
as plaintext?  I was unable to unzip your attachment, unfortunately,
I'm not sure why:

   $ unzip subv_logs.zip
   ELF binary type "0" not known.
   Abort trap
   $ file subv_logs.zip
   subv_logs.zip: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract
   $ zip
   Copyright (C) 1990-1999 Info-ZIP
   Type 'zip "-L"' for software license.
   Zip 2.3 (November 29th 1999). Usage: