Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Petite Abeille <pe...@mac.com> on 2008/02/29 00:17:28 UTC

SOC: Lulu, a Lua implementation of Lucene

A proposal for a Lua entry for the "Google Summer of Code" '08:

lu·lu (lū'lū) n. Slang.

A remarkable person, object, or idea.

A very attractive or seductive looking woman.

A Lua implementation of Lucene.

Skimpy details bellow:

http://svr225.stepx.com:3388/lulu
http://lua-users.org/wiki/GoogleSummerOfCodeIdeas

Feel free to drop by the Lua mailing list if you are interested.

http://www.lua.org/lua-l.html

Cheers,

PA.

Re: SOC: Lulu, a Lua implementation of Lucene

Posted by Petite Abeille <pe...@mac.com>.
On Feb 29, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Mathieu Lecarme wrote:

> For me, Lua is just a glue between C coded object, a super config
> file. Like used in lighttpd or WoW.

Here is a an online demo of a wiki engine implemented purely in Lua:

http://svr225.stepx.com:3388/a
http://svr225.stepx.com:3388/nanoki

Posted by Petite Abeille <pe...@mac.com>.
On Feb 29, 2008, at 8:37 PM, Simon Willnauer wrote:

> or go to http://lucene.apache.org/lucy/

Looks rather, hmmm, inactive:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/lucy/

Is there any working code anywhere?

Re: SOC: Lulu, a Lua implementation of Lucene

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
goto www.google.com
type Lucy lucene

feel lucky

or go to http://lucene.apache.org/lucy/

simon

Posted by Petite Abeille <pe...@mac.com>.

Posted by Mathieu Lecarme <ma...@garambrogne.net>.
Grant Ingersoll a écrit :

> On Feb 29, 2008, at 5:39 AM, Mathieu Lecarme wrote:
>
>> Petite Abeille a écrit :
>>> A proposal for a Lua entry for the "Google Summer of Code" '08:
>>> A Lua implementation of Lucene.
>> For me, Lua is just a glue between C coded object, a super config
>> file. Like used in lighttpd or WoW.
>> Lulu will work on top of Lucy?
>
> That implies the Lucy actually is under development...  Perhaps they
> will take up work on Lucy...
In other hands, a Lucy with C for persistance and parsing, and Lua for
filter and other fine configuration can be great.

M.

Re: SOC: Lulu, a Lua implementation of Lucene

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> I haven't been feeding back my KinoSearch commits into the Lucy
> repository, true.  Not much has changed status-wise since this:
> <http://xrl.us/bgyu6> (Link to mail-archives.apache.org).  I miss
> Dave :( but work continues apace.  I just figured I wouldn't bring
> anything up here until I had some experimental Java bindings for
> you folks to play with.  Some of the stuff I'm working on with KS
> isn't compatible with Lucene, and it doesn't make sense to impede
> progress by imposing that constraint.  Better to finish it up,
> present a polished version and a coherent explanation of the
> design, then have Mike McCandless riff off of it -- that worked
> pretty well for indexing speed improvements in Lucene 2.3.

Looking forward to it ;)  Though it'd be nice to be more iterative
here, if possible, rather than the "big bang" approach.

Mike

Re: SOC: Lulu, a Lua implementation of Lucene

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Feb 29, 2008, at 4:09 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> That implies the Lucy actually is under development...  Perhaps they
> will take up work on Lucy...

:)

I haven't been feeding back my KinoSearch commits into the Lucy
repository, true.  Not much has changed status-wise since this: <http://xrl.us/bgyu6
 > (Link to mail-archives.apache.org).  I miss Dave :( but work
continues apace.  I just figured I wouldn't bring anything up here
until I had some experimental Java bindings for you folks to play
with.  Some of the stuff I'm working on with KS isn't compatible with
Lucene, and it doesn't make sense to impede progress by imposing that
constraint.  Better to finish it up, present a polished version and a
coherent explanation of the design, then have Mike McCandless riff off
of it -- that worked pretty well for indexing speed improvements in
Lucene 2.3.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: SOC: Lulu, a Lua implementation of Lucene

Posted by Petite Abeille <pe...@mac.com>.
On Feb 29, 2008, at 1:09 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> That implies the Lucy actually is under development...  Perhaps they
> will take up work on Lucy...

Lulu has nothing to do with Lucy... goes back to something at high
school or something...

Re: SOC: Lulu, a Lua implementation of Lucene

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
I am looking forward to a pure Lua version of Lucene.  Lua looks like
a neat and amazingly compact programming language.  I especially like
Lua's "table" container type which is both a list and a hash/dictionary.

One issue to watch out for is LUCENE-510, which has been an issue
with other Lucene implementations trying to match the Lucene index
format exactly:

I'm working on this one but not sure when exactly it will be fixed
since it's a difficult tradeoff (loses some indexing performance)...

Mike

Posted by Petite Abeille <pe...@mac.com>.
Hi Marvin,

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Feb 29, 2008, at 11:22 AM, Petite Abeille wrote:

> Lulu is a meant to be a pure Lua implementation of Lucene.

How fast is Lua's method dispatch, compared to Java's?  That has a

Posted by Petite Abeille <pe...@mac.com>.
On Feb 29, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Mathieu Lecarme wrote:

> For me, Lua is just a glue between C coded object, a super config
> file. Like used in lighttpd or WoW.

This is a rather very narrow view of what one could do with Lua.

For example, this wiki engine is written exclusively in Lua:

http://alt.textdrive.com/nanoki/
http://dev.alt.textdrive.com/browser/HTTP

> Lulu will work on top of Lucy?

No.