Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Saha, Sushanta K" <su...@verizonwireless.com> on 2018/10/29 11:52:14 UTC

Re: [E] Re: nodetool status and node maintenance

Thanks!

--

*Sushanta Saha|*MTS IV-Cslt-Sys Engrg|WebIaaS_DB Group|HQ -
* VerizonWireless O 770.797.1260  C 770.714.6555 Iaas Support Line

RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: [E] Re: nodetool status and node maintenance

Posted by "Durity, Sean R" <SE...@homedepot.com>.
I have wrapped nodetool info into my own script that strips out and interprets the information I care about. That script also sets a return code based on the health of that node (which protocols are up, etc.). Then I can monitor the individual health of the node – as that node sees itself. I have found these much more actionable than up/down alerts from a single node’s view of the whole cluster (like nodetool status)

Sean Durity

Any way to temporarily make the node under maintenance invisible  from "nodetool status" output?

I don't think so.
I would use a different approach like for example only warn/email when the node is down for 30 seconds or a minute depending on how long it takes for your nodes to restart. This way the failure is not invisible, but ignored when only bouncing the nodes.

As a side note, be aware that the 'nodetool status' only give a view of the cluster from a specific node, that can be completely wrong as well :).

C*heers,
-----------------------
Alain Rodriguez - alain@thelastpickle.com<ma...@thelastpickle.com>
France / Spain

Le ven. 26 oct. 2018 à 15:16, Saha, Sushanta K <su...@verizonwireless.com>> a écrit :
I have script that parses "nodetool status" output and emails alerts if any node is down. So, when I stop cassandra on a node for maintenance, all nodes stats emailing alarms.

Any way to temporarily make the node under maintenance invisible  from "nodetool status" output?

Thanks

--

Sushanta Saha|MTS IV-Cslt-Sys Engrg|WebIaaS_DB Group|HQ - VerizonWireless
O 770.797.1260  C 770.714.6555 Iaas Support Line 949-286-8810

The information in this Internet Email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this Email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this Email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable governing The Home Depot terms of business or client engagement letter. The Home Depot disclaims all responsibility and liability for the accuracy and content of this attachment and for any damages or losses arising from any inaccuracies, errors, viruses, e.g., worms, trojan horses, etc., or other items of a destructive nature, which may be contained in this attachment and shall not be liable for direct, indirect, consequential or special damages in connection with this e-mail message or its attachment.