Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2005/03/19 08:05:45 UTC

Board report status/infra news

As wiki is currently uneditable due to the infrathon work, and I'm writing
these parts of the board report later than I should, I'm sending these
parts of the report to this list to provide time (all be it not much time)
for comments.

I'll be sending the real thing to the board list tomorrow night, so it
really isn't much time, but I wanted at least some community awareness of
what I'm saying.

The last quarter is most notable for the Lucene promotion to TLP and the
promotion of JCS from within the Turbine subproject to its own subproject
status. Lucene is cleanly separated now while the only infrastructure tie
left between Turbine and JCS will be handled when JCS migrates to
Subversion.

On the promotion subject, HttpClient is still pending promotion to
subproject status and Slide is still planning on applying to be a TLP.

The Jakarta site saw a lot of cleaning and revamping. It now mimics the
www.apache.org 3 column style and has had much in the way of superfluous
content removed. The download/mirror pages have been redesigned to
increase usability for both subprojects and users. This includes these
board reports being available online at
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/pmc/board-reports.html.

Release-wise, continued Tomcat and Commons releases were joined by new
alpha releases from the Tapestry and Hivemind communities.

Various legal-discussions have been spawned by Jakarta this quarter.
Apache's lack of oversight over unofficial translation sites, questions
over how to handle the ASF licence with javadoc pages and usage of
government public domain software. All are still not fully resolved at
this stage. Very recently there have been more branding issues with JBoss
and Tomcat due to an SD Magazine press release.

Lastly, JetBrains have agreed to provide licences to their IDE, "Intellij
IDEA", on an Apache-wide committer basis and not per subproject/codebase.

Possible plans for the next quarter
-----------------------------------

     * HttpClient to subproject level.
     * Taglibs, ECS, BSF, JCS, Cactus SVN migrations.
     * Improved Jakarta level javadoc indexing.

Infrastructure news:
Jakarta has replaced most of the nagoya references. While there are still
a few (250 to 300) it's a good improvement on the 1300 or so there were at
first and many of the references remaining are in the less active areas
(both committer and user).

BCEL, Commons, Regexp and the Jakarta website have all migrated from CVS
to SVN, joining ORO and Velocity. This represents about a third of
Jakarta. Another third are slowly on their way, while the last third would
rather stay with CVS such a time as announcements are made to curtail CVS
usage.