Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Brian Topping <to...@bill2.com> on 2003/07/07 08:51:25 UTC

Public Hosting

Hi all,

It's been about a year since I saw any question of "public hosting" using SVN
(i.e. java.net, sf.net) and I was wondering if there are new options besides
DIY.

I noticed that java.net was being run by CollabNet, and was surprised and sad
that they didn't use SVN.  Did they start it so long ago that it was
impractical to use SVN in it's then-current state?  I can understand if they
were nervous about people people's unfamiliarity causing adoption problems,
but it's still sad.

Okay, hope there are some leads out there!

thanks,

Brian

Re: Public Hosting

Posted by Robert Spier <rs...@pobox.com>.
> Not completely what you are asking, but I think that shortly after OSCON,
> perl.org will be hosting a subversion repository of the Archive of Perl Changes
> (APC).  Robert Spier has said he is willing/able once some more harddrive gets
> installed and he has a little time.  This will, at least, but a fairly high
> profile public repository, albeit read only.

This is still in the plans, as soon as the new (big) disks arrive,
hopefully within the next month.

We're also starting to (very) slowly put some new VC repositories into
SVN instead of CVS to figure out the ropes.

-R

Re: Public Hosting

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Brian Topping wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's been about a year since I saw any question of "public hosting" using SVN
> (i.e. java.net, sf.net) and I was wondering if there are new options besides
> DIY.

Not completely what you are asking, but I think that shortly after OSCON,
perl.org will be hosting a subversion repository of the Archive of Perl Changes
(APC).  Robert Spier has said he is willing/able once some more harddrive gets
installed and he has a little time.  This will, at least, but a fairly high
profile public repository, albeit read only.

I think the issue that the API is still in flux, and both client and server
upgrades are still required for each release, makes a large hosted environment
somewhat difficult.  I would also love to see sf.net provide a subversion host,
since I am trying to kick off a project and would like to not use CVS if at all
possible.  Technically, I have a copy of the APC already running for my own use,
so I could self-host any other project I wanted to.  However, I haven't asked my
boss if it is OK to chew up the T1 hosting a public repository. ;~)

John

Re: Public Hosting

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
"Brian Topping" <to...@bill2.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> It's been about a year since I saw any question of "public hosting" using SVN
> (i.e. java.net, sf.net) and I was wondering if there are new options besides
> DIY.

I don't know of any public hosting service.  Sourceforge has said
they'll support svn someday, when it's 1.0.   But that's all I've heard.

> I noticed that java.net was being run by CollabNet, and was surprised and sad
> that they didn't use SVN.

CollabNet isn't in the business of setting up public hosting services.
CollabNet gets paid millions by companies like Sun for licensing &
hosting sites like java.net, netbeans.org, and openoffice.org.  :-)

> Did they start it so long ago that it was impractical to use SVN in
> it's then-current state?  I can understand if they were nervous
> about people people's unfamiliarity causing adoption problems, but
> it's still sad.

CollabNet's open-source platform, SourceCast, isn't yet using
Subversion in production.  It's still an experimental integration in
the latest version of SourceCast, but will be "mainstream" in the next
major SourceCast release.  That's the reason you don't see Subversion
running on the java.net site... not because "people are nervous".

Re: SVN on savannah? (was Re: Public Hosting)

Posted by Loic Dachary <lo...@gnu.org>.
	Hi,

	The bottom line is that *anything* can be installed on Savannah
as long as it's Free Software and that someone is willing to do whatever
it takes to make it work in the long run. Such a commitment is extremely
rare because it's boring most of the time. It's fun to install a new
software but handling support requests every day (specialy stupid ones)
or upgrading hardware (that's what I'm dealing with currently) is much
less appealing.

	I told Vincent he could go ahead because I know him and trust
him to understand precisely what such a commitment means. I've learnt
that it's not something that can be explained to people, unless you're
ready to spend monthes.

	I'll be meeting all Savannah hackers at Metz
(rencontresmondiales.org) this Saturday and we will talk about
subversion.

	Cheers,

Posted by Timothee Besset <tt...@idsoftware.com>.
CC'ing Loic Dachary and Vincent Caron who are involved with the Savannah
project. Maybe Loic can provide further information about hosting SVN
repositories on Savannah.

 From what zerodeux tells me they are looking for someone who would

Re: Public Hosting

Posted by Shlomi Fish <sh...@vipe.stud.technion.ac.il>.