Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Allysson Flavio <co...@cpqd.com.br> on 2001/01/09 19:10:47 UTC

Perl Script Source Code...

Hi,

We're developing a web based system here in Brazil for a Telecom
Enterprise.
The mod_perl was the choice of our efforts create this web based system.
We've already develope something in Perl and it was the easiest way to
work with internet.
But now there is a problem. To this client we don't want to put our
scripts in their server.
Is there a way to put in our client's server only compiled scripts or
like???
Or can we change Perl source code to decript our files?? In this case we
already have an algorithm to do the job of decripting.
If is it possible in what file or module we have to work on???

Rgds

Allysson Flavio
Analista de Sistemas
System Analist
Centro de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento em Telecom
Research and Develop Centre in Telecom and IT Solutions

P.S: Sorry by the errors.

[OT] Re: Perl Script Source Code...

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
At 21:24 09/01/2001 +0000, G.W. Haywood wrote:
>Just asking, but am I the only one that gets a really bad feeling when
>people want to use Open Source Software to do things like this?  It
>seems kinda counter to the spirit of it all somehow.

Please let us avoid the traditional flamewar that follows code-hiding
questions on perl lists.

To answer your question Ged, I personally would make everything I write
open source if I just had a little more time to polish it off (and that
happens here and there) but I don't feel that it is within Perl culture to
force OSS down people's throats. That's why we have the Artistic License
which isn't polluting the way GPL is. Perl's mostly about getting the job
done (and having fun doing that). If the job is to be closed source, Perl
doesn't want to get in the way. I'm ok with that, so long as there is an
overall OSS feel I think it's ok. Also, some people might not contribute
code but still provide knowledge, advice, infrastructure, etc...
-- robin b.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Re: Perl Script Source Code...

Posted by Chip Turner <ch...@zfx.com>.
Allysson Flavio <co...@cpqd.com.br> writes:

> We're developing a web based system here in Brazil for a Telecom
> Enterprise.  The mod_perl was the choice of our efforts create this
> web based system.  We've already develope something in Perl and it was
> the easiest way to work with internet.  But now there is a problem. To
> this client we don't want to put our scripts in their server.  Is
> there a way to put in our client's server only compiled scripts or
> like???  Or can we change Perl source code to decript our files?? In
> this case we already have an algorithm to do the job of decripting.
> If is it possible in what file or module we have to work on???

Generally speaking, this is very difficult to do with Perl.  There are
some modules that may help (notably Filter::decrypt, available at your
local CPAN mirror) but there is no general solution.  Modern Perls
have been implementing a compiler, but basically for any real work,
especially in a mod_perl environment, they are not what you seek.
Maybe someday, but not yet.

Probably the "best" solution would be to use some kind of encryption
or decryption, like Filter::decrypt (be sure to read the man page
fully first).  This isn't perfect, though, as there are many, many
ways to copy the code as it is being decrypted, or to reverse the
encryption.

So basically all you can do is make it "hard" for them to view the
source, but not impossible.

(There actually may be a FAQ somewhere that answers in more detail;
I'm not sure offhand.)

Chip

--
Chip Turner                   chip@ZFx.com
                              ZFx, Inc.  www.zfx.com
                              PGP key available at wwwkeys.us.pgp.net

Re: Perl Script Source Code...

Posted by Chip Turner <ch...@zfx.com>.
"G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk> writes:

> Hi Allysson,
>
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Allysson Flavio wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to put in our client's server only compiled scripts
> > or like???  Or can we change Perl source code to decript our files??
>
> I think you'd better read a book about C.
>
> Hi everybody else,
>
> Just asking, but am I the only one that gets a really bad feeling when
> people want to use Open Source Software to do things like this?  It
> seems kinda counter to the spirit of it all somehow.

One could argue that Open Source giving you the choice between the two
is more important than some people choosing a non-Free path.  Some
people choose to Open Source their work, others don't, but since Perl
(and just about every module) is under the Artistic License/LGPL
instead, say, of the GPL, it is implicitly allowed (and maybe arguably
encouraged) to not necessarily make all of your work Free.

Of course, it's much more preferable for people to release things into
the Open.  :)

Chip

--
Chip Turner                   chip@ZFx.com
                              ZFx, Inc.  www.zfx.com
                              PGP key available at wwwkeys.us.pgp.net

Re: [OT] Perl Script Source Code...

Posted by Rodney Broom <rb...@home.com>.
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Allysson Flavio wrote:

> Is there a way to put in our client's server only compiled scripts
> or like???

Perl ships with perlcc. Try:
% perldoc perlcc

----
Rodney Broom

Re: [OT] Perl Script Source Code...

Posted by Jay Jacobs <ja...@lach.net>.

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, G.W. Haywood wrote:

> Hi Allysson,
>
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Allysson Flavio wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to put in our client's server only compiled scripts
> > or like???  Or can we change Perl source code to decript our files??
>
> I think you'd better read a book about C.
>
> Hi everybody else,
>
> Just asking, but am I the only one that gets a really bad feeling when
> people want to use Open Source Software to do things like this?  It
> seems kinda counter to the spirit of it all somehow.
>
> 73,
> Ged.

I'd hope you're the only one, either that or I missed your point.  Do you
get paid for coding in perl?  How is that different then coding in perl
then wanting to sell the software and try to maintain rights and privacy
on your creation?

I don't think C is a good point to bring up either, isn't gcc open-source
software?  It just so happens that C has built in protections for
source-code theft, and perl doesn't.  I don't think it makes a bit of
difference what tools you use, you should be able to take whatever steps
you think are necessary to protect your work.

as a side note, I've never felt a need to protect my perl source like
aforementioned, but I can think of a few circumstances where "protecting
source" is different the "hording the source".  You may just want to keep
the code covered to make it a little harder for someone (with a lot more
time then you) to figure out how to break it, you may want to hide a
hard-coded password, or just keep things black to stop folks from
wandering through because you wrote the application in 5 minutes between
phone calls and meetings and you're emberrassed you put out such awful
code, but it works, so run it.

Jay

Re: Perl Script Source Code...

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi Allysson,

Re: Perl Script Source Code...

Posted by Andrew Ho <an...@tellme.com>.
Hello,

AF>We're developing a web based system here in Brazil for a Telecom
AF>Enterprise. The mod_perl was the choice of our efforts create this web
AF>based system. We've already develope something in Perl and it was the
AF>easiest way to work with internet. But now there is a problem. To this
AF>client we don't want to put our scripts in their server.

In general, the situation you are describing does not have a satisfactory
solution. If you need to conceal scripts from those who are running it and
administering it, you are probably doing something strange or wrong.

The Perl FAQ has some references to how you can partially accomplish what
you are talking about:

    http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/manual/html/pod/perlfaq3.html#How_can_I_hide_the_source_for_my

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho               http://www.tellme.com/       andrew@tellme.com
Engineer                   info@tellme.com          Voice 650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.       1-800-555-TELL            Fax 650-930-9101

Re: Perl Script Source Code...

Posted by Nigel Hamilton <ni...@e1mail.com>.
Hi,

	You will need to package your scripts with the server ... one
thing you could do to deter imitators is to 'obfuscate' your source code.

	Have a look for obfuscators on cpan.org.

NIge

Nigel Hamilton